3 April 2022

April

April  

Originally April was the second month of the earliest Roman calendar, but about 700 BC Ianuarius and Februarius were added by King Numa Pompilius, thus making it the fourth month.
It is thought that the name April comes from the Latin word "to open" and describes the trees opening at springtime. It could also be named after the Greek goddess Aphrodite, the Goddess of love and beauty.

The month kicks off with April Fools Day when people play practical jokes trying to get someone to believe something implausible and then call out "April Fools". I don't know how it originated.
April 2nd is Autism Awareness Day
April 2nd also marks the start of Ramadan 
April 6th is my lovely youngest daughter's birthday 🎂
April 15th is the start of Passover 
Easter is late this year. I've never understood why it moves around, I know it's to do with the moon but it seems ridiculous to me. It was one of the first questions I started asking as a child.
If it was meant to be a religious date why wasn't it static like Christmas? Anyway, moving on,
Good Friday is on the 15th, Easter Sunday is on the 17th and Easter Monday is on the 18th.
The 22nd April is Earth Day when events around the world are used to help teach people how they can help our planet by supporting environmental protection.
St George's Day is celebrated on 23 April, in honour of St George, the patron saint of England.
Here in the UK the month of April is National Pet Month 😍


For many people the arrival of the cuckoo is the signal that spring has come. It arrives some time in mid April.

I think April is a beautiful month. As the weather improves, and the soil warms up everything is waking from winter slumber, bringing with it the promise of gardening and warmer days. We musn't be complacent though, April weather can be unpredictable with anything from a heatwave to ground frosts and sleet. I have known snow at Easter in April!

 Be safe and well    
Polly x

10 comments:

  1. I think the date of Easter is variable because it is tied to Passover in terms of timing and symbolism, and Passover is a moveable feast itself because it is tied to the cycles of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. April is such an untrustworthy month; always kidding us that it's warming up enough to put plants out, then hitting us with an unexpected cold spell. But I look forward to the end of the month when the bluebells appear and the Nightingales return (if I can find any).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The appearance of bluebells is always a favourite time.

      Delete
  3. I have always felt the same as you re: Easter. Are you now back from your trip to Australia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rosemary, no I'm still here, but my holiday is drawing to an end, I leave on Saturday :-(

      Delete
  4. It’s still snows here in April. We get snow into May. I would love to see a cuckoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. brrr, I hope it's not too cold when I return to the UK.

      Delete
  5. I love April. But when it snowed big wet flakes today, I was not amused!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...