12 April 2022

Anzac Square

Well I'm back home. I had good flights, managing a bit of sleep on each one. And I had a good first night's sleep. This first week back I will be saying "This time last week". I got very behind with my holiday blogging, so I'm doing a bit of catching up.

Anzac Square was opened in 1930. It is the State War Memorial of Queensland, a significant public and historical site dedicated to the men and women who have served their country in conflict and in peace since the Boer War.

I think these are Boab trees

The spectacular Shrine of Remembrance

with the beautiful Eternal Flame burning in the centre,
which unfortunately you can't see in my photo.

The inscription reads
"In memory of the Queensland heroes who
fell in the South African War 1899 - 1902"

Although it's in the heart of the CBD Anzac Square is a lovely quiet place
to stand and reflect, stroll through or sit for a while.

 ∼ Be safe and well∼
Polly x

12 comments:

  1. Remembrance draws us together though the centuries pass in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anzac Square looks like a fittingly beautiful tribute. I like that there is a statue to the heroism of war nurses too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that too. It has a beautiful serenity about it.

      Delete
  3. Lovely. The shrine is spectacular, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to get a video of the flame but it just didn't work, I couldn't get close enough.

      Delete
  4. All looks very beautiful. I'm glad you managed to get some sleep on the flights. I've just arrived in the States and didn't get any.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a very beautiful square. The Shrine of Remembrance is most impressive. I also like the statue depicting the war nurses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shrine of remembrance and the eternal flame are especially beautiful. I'm so glad you were able to have a very long visit with your daughter. That's a long way to go for a short one! Welcome home, Polly. I hope the jet lag isn't impossible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. I'm amazed at how well I got back into UK time with no jet lag :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...