14 April 2022

Holiday Roundup

On my daughter's birthday we were able to use the ferry which had opened on the 4th April. There were still a few bits of flood debris around but nothing that was considered dangerous. 


It's a great way to get around and I'm glad that I got to experience it.
After crossing we walked along the river.

Passing Gloria and Gerard. The sculptures by Mark Andrews were designed to celebrate the wealth of wool in this district. The building to the right is part of the original wool stores. Queensland wool was originally shipped to Sydney. But in 1898 the state held it's first wool sale. This coincided with the completion of the Bulimba rail branch line along the waterfront which meant that the many sidings on the line provided access to wharves, wool stores, and factories. Wool from all over Queensland came to the stores by ship and rail, and motorised transport after WWII, creating jobs and prosperity.

We went to the Powerhouse. I forgot to take a photo. It's a huge pre-war industrial building. With two main theatres, gallery spaces, restaurants and bars, it hosts exhibitions, events and functions from weddings to conferences. We had a few drinks and then walked to one of my daughter's favourite restaurants, Zero Fox. Full of alcohol and delicious food we returned home.


On my last day we visited Kangaroo Point, a popular recreation spot. As well as a lovely scenic walk beside the river, it also offers parklands, bikeways, playgrounds, picnic and barbecue spots, ab-sailing and climbing. 

These girls didn't mind me taking photos. They were doing a rescue task as part of their university course. One girl was going to ab-sail down about half way, then the other girl would go down to rescue her. There were also some fire fighters further along, they practice regularly to maintain their life saving skills.


The heritage-listed cliffs are approx 20 metres high. They even have night lights.

The sign says "Entry to climbers only"


You can see the path below where we had walked from, and just about make out some steps on the left. We climbed up to go to Joeys cafe. I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath, but recovered immediately once at the top. 


So of course we deserved coffee and cake!!

Nice views

This was from a previous day, I thought I would include it as it's my favourite flower - Frangipani, beautifully simple with a divine scent. It didn't arrive with the flower, it was one I had picked earlier.

Lots of happy times and memories to sustain me until I return.

∼ Be safe and well∼
Polly x

14 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! I love the photos, thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is so lovely and the flower reminds me of Hawaii. That was a steep hill to maneuver, so a well deserved treat at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many interesting places to see, tasty booze to drink and yummy food to eat! I love frangipani flowers too and that scent is a favourite incense aroma too. In Hawaii, frangipani flowers are called plumeria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, I'm going to look for some frangipani incense.

      Delete
  4. More interesting photos. I like Gloria and Gerard. A great view from Joeys Cafe. There's always a good excuse to have coffee and a pastry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick, I can always think of an excuse for coffee and cake! :-)

      Delete
  5. You really have had a spectacular time with such a variety of activities and all that natural beauty! I love the ferry -- I'm so glad it worked out for you to take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. I did have a wonderful time.

      Delete
  6. How nice that you were able ro celebrate your daughter's birthday with her this year, Polly. That treat at Joey's was well deserved after the climb to get to the top and what great views too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the first time I've stayed to celebrate her birthday with her.

      Delete
  7. Lovely pictures. I guess bringing back Gloria and Gerald would be a big no-no. Still, I'd like them for my yard.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...