6 July 2015

Le Tour De France 2014


With The Tour De France under way it reminded me of last year’s event, it came through our village. During the build up to it I was a bit grumpy about the whole thing thinking we would be inundated by strangers vying for prime viewing areas, but as the event grew nearer I became more involved and grew very excited, this would probably be my only opportunity to be involved in a major sporting event.




There was lots of excitement with two fun days of celebrating. I volunteered to help man the stall selling hot dogs, burgers, ice cream, lollies and drinks, and the bar in the hall was open.



We had a small museum display of vintage up to modern day bikes in the church, a brilliant radical bike show, bouncy castle, the pub put on an all-day BBQ and the church did delicious cream teas.




Everyone lined the route, people were writing greetings on the roads. There was lots of cheering and flag waving, firstly as the caravan came through


and even more so as the eagerly awaited cyclists raced through. 


A great time was had by all.

6 comments:

  1. What a great experience, to be part of the Tour even in a small way. I'm a fan!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amalia, yes it was and everyone was in such high spirits. I wish it came through the village every year now! x

      Delete
  2. The Giro D'italia was near us last year. Then a spin off event again this year - a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gillian, I've never heard of this event so I have just looked it up. It looks as if it goes through some very pretty areas.

      Delete
  3. It's impossible not to get caught up in it isn't it. I remember when the Olympic torch came to our town - I was so excited and managed to get one terrible, very blurred photo of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, yes, I couldn't stay grumpy for long!! I was so pleased to get the shots I did. I had a great little Samsung automatic "pop in your handbag" camera at the time. Knowing I would only have a few seconds when the cyclists arrived I put the camera in sports mode and did a few practice shots holding the camera out like the lady is doing in the bike pic, then when they arrived I just kept my finger on the button and hoped for the best! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...