16 October 2022

Nidd Hall

Despite depressing weather myself and friends M & J had a lovely 4 night break at Warner's Nidd Hall in beautiful Yorkshire. I developed a horrid cold the day after arriving home, but am feeling better now.
A grade II listed building Nidd Hall was built in the 18th century by a wealthy Bradford wool merchant. It is rumoured that Edward VIII met Wallis Simpson at a party there.

Our rooms were very nice. Warm, comfortable and a comfy bed.
My radiator wasn't working for the first night but was fixed first thing
the next day and then the room was lovely and warm.

My room was the two windows at the top, above the horses' neck and back. 
A previous owner kept and bred horses,
Warpath won a few races and sired many winners.

Church in the grounds

I often wish I played chess so I could play on these fun boards! Mind you the weather was NOT conducive to outdoor activities, except for our day in York which was mild with glorious sunshine for most of the day. 
York Minster, courtesy of a postcard. I just couldn't get a good angle.

The magnificent Great East Window is the largest expanse of medieval stained glass in the country, a masterpiece in glass and stone depicting the beginning and end of all things. For the last 12 years, the 600 year old window has been the subject of a major restoration and conservation project – one of the largest of its kind in Europe.

The Shambles courtesy of another postcard. There were too many people milling around to get a good photo.


Afternoon tea was originally the brainchild of the Duchess of Bedford who was Lady-in-Waiting to Queen Victoria. She thought there was "An intolerable length of time between luncheon and evening dinner" and decided that it would be enjoyable to take some refreshment halfway between the two. She arranged for tea and sweet and savoury snacks. The habit soon caught on and before long this very English interlude was being enjoyed by all. Despite our love of cream teas we desisted because we were going to have an ample dinner later.

I wanted to visit the Yorvik museum but J suddenly told us it was 2 o/clock, and as we had to be back at the coach for 3.30 we wouldn't have enough time. I thought time had gone very quickly but didn't think to check my watch. On the way back we saw a clock and realised J had got the time wrong, her watch is very small, she read 2 o/clock instead of 1 o/clock. We did a ride on the tour bus instead

The next day we went to Skipton where they usually have a very good market on both sides of the high street. The weather was dreadful, non stop rain, only 3 stallholders turned up! It was only a half day trip but because of the conditions everyone agreed to leave earlier. M, J and I went for a swim and I used the sauna.

Our third trip was a tour around the Yorkshire dales. Beautiful scenery 
and lots of sheep!
I like sheep


with stops at Pateley Bridge


 where we bought sweets


from the oldest sweet shop in England


I think this is an old fashioned press for making wine gums.
If you enlarge the image you can see the shapes on the metal cylinder.

and Hawes 

where we bought cheese at the Wensleydale creamery.

Now we're deciding which Warners to go to next.

∼ Be safe and well∼
    Polly x


21 comments:

  1. Lovely post on Yorkshire - now I want to return again and revist glorious York Abbey.
    I am very into Wensleydale cheese currently. I really like its crumbly texture, taste, and it has a lower sodium content than other cheeses which is better for us too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary, I used to visit regularly when my mother was alive. I didn't know about the sodium content, I feel better about eating it now! :-)

      Delete
  2. You do so many interesting tours! Too bad the weather didn't always cooperate, but still -- nice to get out and about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We particularly like our Warner trips. We had one good weather day, and as you said Debra, it is nice to get out and about.

      Delete
  3. Love England…with beautiful houses shops churches…and nature…I hope once to be there 🍀🍀🍀 it is on my to do list…every day I watch …escape to the country…and dream of a small cottage….hahahaha…dream on babe….🙏🙈🙏….happy week love Ria and Leaf 🍀🐾💗🍀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ria, we do have some beautiful places to visit. I too would love a country cottage :-) x

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful area to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your sheep photo! York is a spot I've never been and I hope to add it to next year's itinerary if we can manage. After seeing this remarkable post, Polly, I'm all the more enthused. It looks like a wonderful city. I love the fact that you can take those tours -- such fun and you do get to see some lovely things (even if your weather isn't perfect.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeanie, York is a great city, steeped in history and well worth a visit.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful trip! Beautiful scenery and buildings and places and, and, and .....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Polly for taking us along on what looks like a lovely excursion with your friends. The scenery and those buildings were wonderful to see and getting a good angle is often difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a huge building and a large tree was in the way as well !!

      Delete
  8. I like the story of the origin of afternoon tea - which is still very popular in Northern Ireland. Some lovely old buildings and scenery on your Yorkshire break. York Minster is wonderful. You should learn to play chess, it's great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many years ago a friend tried to teach me chess but I just couldn't get it. You've given me food for thought though Nick, I would like to try again.

      Delete
  9. One of my neighbors was on a tour of England last month and she told me how impressive York Minster was. She loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, so many people visit, we heard lots of different accents.

      Delete
  10. what a lovely adventure you had! the weather looks nice and I do love to sightsee :) What a bummer that you got a cold when you came home. I hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen, I'm not coughing and sneezing now but my head and nose are still stuffy.

      Delete
  11. I'm just swooning over the views, and the lovely buildings and scenery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...