27 January 2022

A Very Good Read

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

Ove is a grumpy old man. He thinks himself surrounded by idiots - sweaty joggers, neighbours who can’t reverse a trailer properly and shop assistants who talk in code. The world that he knew is becoming more foreign to him every day, with its new gadgets and trends that he doesn’t understand. Ove has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. He doesn’t shy away from doing battle with bureaucrats. He spends his days inspecting the small housing development he lives in, and thinking of ways to end his life so he can be with his beloved wife again.

One November morning a chatty young couple with two boisterous young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove's mailbox, and grumpy Ove finds his solitary world turned upside down.

But is he grumpy just because he doesn't walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time? In the weeks and months that follow we see another side to Ove. He has experienced great happiness and great sadness.


Funny, endearing, and entertaining, this is a lovely heartwarming tale of unexpected (and initially unwanted) friendships, an unkempt cat, sheds, cars and a loveable kind man. I liked Ove and could identify with him on many levels.

 ∼ Happy Reading ∼ 

Polly x

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I didn't know it was a movie too, I must try to find it.

      Delete
  2. I read that for this book for book club. Everyone enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of my book club girls enjoyed it too.

      Delete
  3. You had me at "unkempt cat." Actually, this book has been on my "to read" list for FOREVER. Got to get around to it. And now there's a movie too? Maybe I'll find that on Netflix instead?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I’m in the minority, but I disliked that book. He was just not a character I could relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think everyone has read this book but me and loved it. I need to read this one for sure. They are doing a remake of the movie with Tom Hanks. From what I hear of the character, it is good casting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Fredrik Backman but I read far too many books about old grumpy people who change their ways after begrudgingly befriending some young people in the past few years so I am taking a break from that storyline. Glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was the first Fredrik Backman book I read. Now I have read them all and love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first one for me, the rest are on my list, so many books, so little time!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stories about grumpy old men who have a sudden epiphany and start to enjoy life are always fun. I must give this one a go.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...