16 January 2022

A Good Read

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

A murder...A tragic accident...or just parents behaving badly?

The story deals with ex-husbands and second wives, mothers and daughters, schoolyard scandal, and little lies that can become dangerous. 

The main protagonists are Madeline, Celeste, and Jane. Madeline is outspoken, funny, passionate, and a force to be reckoned with.

Celeste is rich and beautiful, the kind of woman who makes people stop and stare, but she is hiding a dark secret behind the facade of perfection.

New to town, single mum Jane is running away from a mysterious past with her son, Ziggy. She is younger than the others and harbours a great deal of sadness. 

They meet at the kindergarten their children attend, and although disparate the women befriend each other. As their friendship deepens, secrets are shared, issues surface, and someone dies.
It's an ok read, I wouldn't say rush out and buy it. I thought parts of it were a little weak.

∼ Happy Reading ∼ 

Polly x

14 comments:

  1. I've read other stuff by her that didn't knock me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only other one I've read is 'Three Wishes' which was also just ok.

      Delete
  2. Did you watch the TV series based on this book? It had a stellar cast and was quite well-received, I believe. (I haven't seen it or read the book).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, no I haven't, it would be interesting to compare both.

      Delete
  3. I read this! I did like it. Didn't love it. But it was a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't feel it was a waste of time.

      Delete
  4. I’ve read all her books. Some are great; some are just okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read two but I don't think I will read any more.

      Delete
  5. I had planned on reading this.. but then the show came out and I ended up watching that instead. I rarely read something after already watching it so I passed. The show..especially the first season was very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it would probably make a better show than a read!

      Delete
  6. I've never read any of her books and honestly don't think I will in future. It's not because of this review, Polly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have to say I've never read any of her books. Books I've enjoyed in the last few months include Cloudstreet by Tim Winton (which I'm re-reading), and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Polly! I haven't read this author yet but I do love reading and my genre of choice is murder mysteries. Have you ever read any of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? I loved almost these books, especially since some of the later ones were so obviously fictional accounts based on true slices of Canadian history - although what happened to the characters in the books did not happen in the real stories and names were, of course, changed. I haven't read her latest because she apparently co-wrote it with Hilary Clinton. I have never been a fan of co-written books. However I have fallen in love with the recurring characters in her Inspector Gamache novels. You might like them too. Hugs - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn, I haven't heard of the Inspector Gamache series, sounds interesting, I have added it to my list. Thank you for the recommendation :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...