9 January 2022

January

 January

the first month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian calendars and the first of seven months to have a length of 31 days. It is, on average, the coldest month of the year in most of the Northern Hemisphere, and the warmest month of the year in most of the Southern Hemisphere. 
January was named for the Roman god Janus, known as the protector of gates and doorways who symbolize beginnings and endings. Janus is depicted with two faces, one looking into the past, the other with the ability to see into the future.
The Romans often made promises to Janus and exchanged good wishes, which is probably where new year's resolutions came from.

A few traditions
In Scotland, December 31 is known as Hogmanay. “First footing” (or the “first foot” in the house after midnight) is still common across Scotland. To ensure good luck for the house the first person to cross the threshold into the home should be a dark-haired male bringing with him a piece of coal (to ensure the house would never be cold), bread (to ensure a full larder), and a wee dram of whisky.
In Spain people attempt to eat 12 grapes during the 12 strokes of midnight! Tradition says that if they succeed before the chimes stop, they will have good luck for all 12 months of the coming year.
❄ In the southern US, black-eyed peas and pork foretell good fortune. 
❄ In Dutch homes eating any ring-shaped treat (such as a doughnut) symbolizes “coming full circle” and leads to good fortune. Fritters called olie bollen are served, and diving into the North Sea, lakes and canals is popular.
❄ The Irish enjoy pastries called bannocks.
❄ In India and Pakistan, rice promises prosperity.
❄ Apples dipped in honey are a Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) tradition.
❄ In Swiss homes, dollops of whipped cream, symbolizing the richness of the year to come, are dropped on the floors—and allowed to remain there!

Did you know?
❄ New Year’s Day was once the time to swap presents.
❄ Gifts of gilded nuts or coins marked the start of the new year in Rome.
❄ Eggs, the symbol of fertility, were exchanged by the Persians.
❄ Early Egyptians traded earthenware flasks.

Some customs and beliefs are simply passed down through the ages. A few favorite age-old sayings and proverbs are:

❄ On New Year’s Eve, kiss the person you hope to keep kissing.
❄ If New Year’s Eve night wind blow south, It betokeneth warmth and growth.
❄ For abundance in the new year, fill your pockets and cupboards today.
❄ If the old year goes out like a lion, the new year will come in like a lamb.

"Begin the new year square with every man" [i.e., pay your debts!]
Robert B. Thomas, founder of The Old Farmer’s Almanac

So, whether we resolve to return borrowed farm equipment (as did the Babylonians) or lose a few pounds, we’re tapping into an ancient and powerful longing for a fresh start!

∼ Be warm and well ∼ 
Polly x

18 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about all the customs. I’d enjoy a Dutch doughnut, I’m sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm. I have Swiss heritage. If Swiss people dropped whipped cream on the floor and left it there, it would drive them nuts in no time. Very fastidiously clean people, the Swiss. OCD level fastidious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that Debra, but I can believe it. It would be messy and smelly. Maybe it was a tiny dollop, or from a few hundred years ago!

      Delete
  3. I have Scottish, Irish and English heritage. Interesting read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting how rapidly the "tradition" of setting off fireworks at midnight has developed. I remember someone in the 1990s who saved a firework from Guy Fawkes night for New Year's Eve - at the time it seemed a strange and daring thing to do. There was no public firework display in London till 2000, though it began in Australia around 1980.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember the first time I experienced fireworks on New Year's Eve, it seems a long time ago though! Here in my village some people only need the flimsiest excuse for setting them off but oddly enough, I didn't hear any on New Year's Eve, and before you ask John, yes I was awake - and sober!! :-)

      Delete
  5. Some weird and wonderful traditions there. Even though I didn't know about the tradition, I kissed the person I hoped to go on kissing! Apples dipped in honey sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's nice, the kissing, not the apples! I'm not a huge fan of apples.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Some traditions go back hundreds of years, and sone are strange!

      Delete
  7. I love posts like this where I learn new things, history and fun facts! And, as always, I DID learn new things from this one! I love hearing about the traditions. (And I never thought of apples and honey -- I'm going to have to try that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earlier today I was watching Rick Stein baking cheese scones. He served them with slices of cheddar, pears and honey, it looked delicious.

      Delete
  8. Another great post, Polly. Thanks for enlightening me. I did know about Janus. I've had southern black-eyed peas at a New Year's celebration, but I'm not familiar with any of the other traditions. Apples and honey sounds pretty good. Dropping whipped cream on the floor and leaving it there? Not so much. ;) Whatever tradition you may follow, I wish you a happy and prosperous new year! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year, Polly, and thanks too for starting it off with such an interesting and informative post. These types are always my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beatrice. I hope this year will see a much better time for all of us - visiting family, good health and peace of mind x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...