6 January 2022

A Good Read

The Accidental Apprentice by Vikas Swarup
Sapna Sinha works in an electronics store in downtown Delhi. She hates her job, but she is ambitious and determined to succeed, and her family depend on the money she brings in, without it they won’t be able to survive. 
As she leaves the shop on her lunch break one day, she is approached by a man who says he is the CEO of one of India's biggest companies. He tells her he is looking for an heir for his business empire, and that he has decided it should be her. But first she must pass seven tests.  And then the biggest lottery win of all time will be hers.
The story started well but it soon became contrived and predictable, I quickly picked up that the tests were just snippets from news broadcasts. The characters were likeable though, and I enjoyed the descriptions of Indian culture.
It was a little disappointing but It’s a quick read so I didn’t feel I had wasted too much time.

∼ Happy Reading ∼ 

Polly x

8 comments:

  1. I dislike predictably in books, but it happens quite often. At least you liked the characters. I am reading The Lost Apothecary and enjoying it. It’s set in London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters and descriptions of places saved it :-)

      Delete
  2. This does sound like a good start but yes, when you can predict it then it loses its charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does Jeanie. I finished it because I wanted to know what happened.

      Delete
  3. There seem to be lots of books from the Indian sub-continent these days, but it sounds like I might give this one a miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read a few excellent books set in India, this was an exception. Yes give it a miss John.

      Delete
  4. You are a good reader. It is always exciting to find a new book. I think you have thoughtful tests to buy books. Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love reading. Books transport us to other worlds and times.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...