29 April 2020

A Good Read

Finders Keepers by Stephen King is the second in the Bill Hodges trilogy.

The story starts in 1978 when petty criminal Morris Bellamy robs and murders acclaimed iconic author John Rothstein. Bellamy is a huge fan of Rothstein and obsessed with his most famous creation, a rebel without a cause named Jimmy Gold, but Bellamy thinks that Rothstein ruined the character in the final book of a trilogy by having him become just another suburbanite working in advertising.

After killing Rothsteim, Bellamy empties the safe of cash, but the real treasure is a stash of notebooks containing at least one more Gold novel. Fearing arrest and imprisonment he buries the money and notebooks. 
Bellamy is a nasty piece of work, he was never arrested for the murder but he was jailed on a rape charge.

Decades later a boy named Peter Saubers finds the trunk that Morris buried. The Saubers family have fallen on hard times since Peter’s father was injured. Young Peter sees a way to heal the tension building between his parents by using the money to send regular instalments to his parents under the guise of a well wisher.

During his 35 years in prison all Bellamy has dreamed of is getting out and reading the notebooks that he hid. After his release he sets about retrieving what he feels is his and nothing is going to stand in his way.

Another excellent story from King building the tension to the end.
I like the detecting trio of Hodges, Holly and Jerome.

~Happy Reading ~

Polly x


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation, Polly. I always look for books to add to the pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pass this along to my daughter. She loves his books. I admire his talent, but have not been a fan of most of his works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation. I am not reading a lot at the moment but I like a couple ready. Hope all is well with you, take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange how avid readers aren't reading as much at the moment, although I've just read my book club's latest one in three days! All is well here, as I hope it is with you and Gerard.

      Delete
  4. Stephen King is always a good read. Plus he states his mind, fully and frankly, about Trump, which is good to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what he has said but I'm sure I would agree. I just cannot believe the insensitive rhetoric that comes out of Trump's mouth, he really is a sick man.

      Delete
  5. I have this book but haven't read it yet - Holly is the same character from "The Outsider" and the Mr. Mercedes trilogy, yes? She's one of King's best recurring characters in a while. I really enjoyed the TV show of "The Outsider" - it's well worth seeking out, although the ending was a bit of a let-down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila, sorry I'm so late replying. Yes she is the same as in Mr Mercedes. I haven't seen the Outsider.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...