15 March 2022

Out And About

Oh I do love hot weather. I love all encompassing warmth, and I love having breakfast outside, which to be fair I did quite a lot last year at home.

I start my day with breakfast on the balcony reading and enjoying the view.

Last Thursday my daughter read about a market in the city, unfortunately it was mostly a food market, which we weren't really interested in because we were still full up from breakfast. 


After a walk along the river we went to the City Botanic Garden 


The site of Brisbane City Botanic Gardens was selected as a public 
garden in 1828 by New South Wales Colonial Botanist Charles Fraser.


Originally the garden was planted with food crops to feed the convicts. In 1855, a portion of the land was declared a 'botanic reserve' and Walter Hill was appointed as curator. It incorporates Brisbane's most mature gardens and features many rare and unusual species of plants.


This Banyan tree was planted in the 1870s, during Walter Hill's curatorship, and is the largest Banyan Tree in the gardens. My photos don't really do it justice. 
The species is originally from India and can cover many acres when very old (500 to 600 years). The aerial roots enter the ground, forming new trunks. In this way, the huge branches can extend further and further away from the parent plant. With over 20 species of figs, the City Botanic Gardens holds one of the largest collections of figs in Australia. This tree has the largest and most impressive aerial root structure in the gardens. With a circumference of 49 metres and enormous aerial root structures it is believed to be the best known example of its species in Australia.

I don't know what this was, it was quite impressive and was as still as a statue. I did wonder if it would suddenly lurch at us, like the small dinosaurs in Jurrasic Park - must learn to control my imagination!!
Starting to feel hungry we headed to the CBD for lunch. All the restaurants here ask for proof of covid vaccination to enter. We finished our day with a bit of retail therapy.


Elsewhere, this is a local shop which at first sight I thought was a charity shop, but it's a private business. I don't know how she makes any money though, everything is piled so high you can't seen anything underneath. I did walk through but was concerned about knocking something over! 

∼ Be safe and well∼
Polly x

18 comments:

  1. Breakfast outside? At first I thought you'd gone mad, then I remembered you'd gone to Australia! Banyan trees have always fascinated me, ever since I came across an illustration in one of my Look And Learn Annuals when I was a child. The gardens look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John, yes I would be mad to have breakfast outside at home at the moment!

      Delete
  2. Those banyan trees are amazing. I’ve seen them in Florida and Maui. They are incredible. The gardens look lovely but that shop is a hot mess! How does one even find anything? I love to eat outdoors. You are having a grand time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a few people in that shop so I think it's quite popular!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful view..I see your point re the shop:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a fabulous holiday, Polly. I love the view and the gardens are spectacular. I confess, I walk into a shop like that and walk right out. Much as I'm sure there's something I MUST have, I don't have the wherewithall to find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you there Jeanie, I love looking round charity shops and second hand shops when the items are clearly visible but this is just overwhelming, and I was constantly concerned about knocking something over!

      Delete
  5. Banyan trees are awesome! And so is that . . . iguana?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah yes, thank you Debra, I had a feeling I should have known what it was!

      Delete
  6. I see you're doing plenty of exploring. The banyan tree is amazing. I had no idea they could re-root themselves indefinitely. The big lizard is impressive. I have a soft spot for lizards and dragons and all. That shop is crazy. As you say, how can you know what's underneath all the huge piles of whatever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like small soft lizards, and dragons. When I last walked by the shop owner had a lot of stuff outside on tables easily visible with price tags on. I suspect that she has a LOT of good stuff, collectables and vintage. You would need a firm resolve to spend the time sifting through it though!

      Delete
  7. My goodness what a shop, I am betting there is some real treasure in there somewhere...if only you could see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful weather you have been enjoying, Polly. I agree that shop did look dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beatrice, I wonder if she loses customers because people are worried about knocking something over, or just don't have the will to sift through so much stuff.

      Delete
  9. I love those Banyan trees! Looks like you are having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am Pam, it's lovely being with my daughter again.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...