9 March 2022

G'Day

Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong
Under the shade of a Coolibah tree
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled
"You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me".

Hands up if you sang that in your mind! I did as I was typing it, ha,ha

Greetings dear reader, yes at last I am back in Australia.
It was beyond wonderful to see my darling daughter again.

My plane from Heathrow to Doha.

The weeks leading up to my departure were stressful. I'm a worrier, I try not to be, I tell myself that worrying never solves anything, but it's in my DNA and learnt from my mother. I worried that my proof of vaccinations wouldn't arrive in time, then worried that my PCR result would be positive or wouldn't arrive in time, but it was negative and the result was in my inbox at 5am the next day! very efficient. 
We were an hour late departing so I worried that I might miss my connecting flight. I gave myself a good talking to along the lines of "That's enough, I can't do anything about it, relax and enjoy the flight". Which I did, and although there wasn't time to browse around the airport, I did catch the connection. 13 hours from Doha to Brisbane!! I wondered how I was going to cope, but with reading, films, meals and sleeping the time passed very well.

Hello Queensland

You might have read or heard about the floods here in Brisbane,
they have been devastating, people have lost their lives and their homes.


This is the ferry terminal that my daughter uses to go to work.
The water was way up beyond that grass.


The only passenger today was this sweet little kookburra.


Clear up work has started but it's estimated that it could take months to clear it all the way along the river. My daughter is hoping that this stretch won't take that long. She has booked a lot of time off while I'm here but still needs to go in 2 or 3 days a week. She is driving and it's adding hours to her work day. Also I was hoping to use it for trips into the city, but I can use the bus or train. Meanwhile I've been sleeping a lot! and exploring the area.
Bulimba is a beautiful suburb with some gorgeous modern houses, and a main road  with lots of cafes, restaurants, boutiques, pubs, bars, a cinema, shops and a Woolworths supermarket. I found the library yesterday but I can't join as a temporary member so my daugher is going to join and I can borrow on her membership. I bought two with me and have almost finished one but want to save the other one for when I return, so I will need something inbetween time.

∼ Be safe and well∼
Polly x

25 comments:

  1. How wonderful that FINALLY you are able to go to Australia to see your daughter again! I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you, have a wonderful time creating memories for your return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Woolworths? I wonder why we don't have them over here now.
    Enjoy your stay and will look forward to more posts.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Briony. The Woolworth's here are supermarkets. It was a sad day when our Woolworths closed.

      Delete
  4. That is fantastic! How cool to see a kookaburra. Have a marvelous time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bijoux. I love the little Kookaburras, and was very pleased to get so close before it flew away.

      Delete
  5. I am so thrilled you can visit your daughter and it must feel wonderful to get out of town. I would be so excited to see the kookaburra but best of all having time with your "girl" would be the best. I hope you get to see a lot of the territory during your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. I'm hoping to visit friends in northern Brisbane.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post and more so because you arrived safely and can now make up for lost time with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delighted to know that you are now safely in Australia with your daughter after your other two abortive attempts were so disappointing for you - have a really, really, wonderful time together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Time with your daughter! Wonderful. I hope your time there won’t be too affected by the aftermath of the flooding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little disappointing that we aren't able to use the ferries. But we are ok and no water damage.

      Delete
  9. What an adventure, Polly! Have an amazing experience, and know that, even in the things that go "wrong", there are unexpected gifts and blessings. Be open to them. That's where the magic happens. 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi, you're right, there is always a solution.

      Delete
  10. Good to know you finally made it to Australia! Those long-haul flights are very tedious but somehow the time passes. The flooding in Eastern Australia has been horrendous, there'll be an awful lot of clearing up needed. I looked up Bulimba on Street View, it looks very nice. I even spotted the Woolworths on Oxford Street! Enjoy the rest of your stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick. I looked it up too, long before I came here, I like to see where my daughter is living, it helps to feel a little bit closer to her.

      Delete
  11. I'll be humming this for the rest of the day. So happy for you!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha,ha, sorry Amalia. If it's any consolation it was going round in my head for a long time! :-)

      Delete
  12. Have a wonderful marvelous time and hug your daughter often!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello. Such a nice post! I’m really appreciate it. It will be great if you’ll read my first article on Unimuda Sorong and uhamka

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...