1 March 2022

March

    March  
March is the third month of the year in both the Julian and Gregorian calendars. In the Northern Hemisphere the meteorlogical beginning of spring occurs on the first day of March. The March equinox on the 20 or 21 marks the astronomical beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere and the beginning of autumn in the Southern Hemisphere.

“March” is named for the Roman god of war, Mars. This was the time of year to resume military campaigns that had been interrupted by winter.


Happy St David's Day. Today is St David's day, patron saint of Wales.
It is also Shrove Tuesday, also known as pancake day.
The Royal National Lifeboat Institution was founded on 4 March 1824.
March 5th is St Piran's Day, the national day of Cornwall.
March 8th is International Women’s Day.
Beware the Ides of March on the 15th. The word “Ides” is derived from the Latin word “idus,” which refers to the middle day of any month in the ancient Roman calendar. But why must we beware? Well, in ancient Rome the Romans considered the Ides of March as a deadline for settling debts, and maybe arguments or fights occured if debts weren't settled.
It could also refer to the death of Julius Caeser. He was assassinated by political rivals on the steps of the Senate on the 15th March 44 BC.
In Shakespeare's Julius Caesar a soothsayer attracts Caesar’s attention and tells him:
"Beware the ides of March"
Caesar demands: "What man is that? Set him before me, let me see his face"
When the soothsayer repeats his warning, Caesar dismisses him, saying:
"He is a dreamer; let us leave him. Pass"
Two acts later, Caesar is assassinated on the steps of the Senate.
🍀St Patrick's day, the patron saint of Ireland, is celebrated on the 17th.
Mother's Day is celebrated on the 27th.
The 27th in the UK is also the day we change our clocks to daylight saving time.


Dear little snowdrops have been flowering for a while, followed by cheery daffodils, primroses, primulas, crocuses, and all around the garden new shoots and buds are appearing. 

 
I Martius am! Once first, and now the third!
To lead the Year was my appointed place;
A mortal dispossessed me by a word,
And set there Janus with the double face.
Hence I make war on all the human race;
I shake the cities with my hurricanes;
I flood the rivers and their banks efface,
And drown the farms and hamlets with my rains.
 
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, American poet (1807–82)

According to lore, the last three days of March have a reputation for being stormy.
But then another idiom says that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb!

Be safe and well
Polly x

15 comments:

  1. I’ve not heard it called Shrove Tuesday in many years. Everyone here says Fat Tuesday now and eats pazcki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha,ha, fat Tuesday, I like that, apt for when I used to eat lots of pancakes! I've never heard of pazcki, so I've looked it up.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I didn't know the Ides of March was the deadline for settling debts in ancient Rome! I learned something new today, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Debra, I didn't know either until I looked it up :-)

      Delete
  3. I also didn't know the Ides of March was a deadline for settling debts. They never taught us that at school, tch tch. March 20 is my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to remember to visit your blog on the 20th but if I forget I hope you have a great birthday :-)

      Delete
  4. I always really enjoy your March trivia posts. I always learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your March Post. and awaiting April Post.
    Love from USA
    Regards,

    Herbaldady USA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a happy bunny, lol. My Birthday is on the 15th March.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Briony, I hope you stay safe and have a very happy birthday :-)

      Delete
  7. Polly, this was fascinating. I've always wondered about the Ides of March, but never got around to looking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Polly for the interesting information and I know more than before about the month of March.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...