2 November 2021

A Good Read

The Dry by Jane Harper

The small Australian town of Kiewarra is thrown into shock by the brutal killing of the Hadler family, Luke, his wife Karen and their son Billy.  It appears that Luke shot his family and then himself, driven to despair by their poor financial state and unrelenting suffering caused by the worst drought of the century.
Aaron Falk reluctantly returns to his hometown for the funeral of his childhood friend, loath to face the townsfolk who turned their backs on him twenty years earlier when he and his father were run out of their home over rumours of Aaron's involvement in the death of local girl Ellie Deacon. Ellie's death was ruled a suicide and Aaron had an alibi, his best friend Luke. 

Aaron intended to stay for as short a time as possible but people are starting to question the way the family died, and Luke's parents refuse to believe their son is responsible for such unforgivable acts. They ask a reluctant Aaron to investigate, and as questions mount Falk is forced to probe deeper.

There is a mean and nasty streak running through the local community compounded by the relentless heat. The old rumours about Aaron having a hand in Ellie's death are resurrected and a vehement campaign against him begins. They are determined to hound him out for a second time and are not above using underhand and dirty tactics to achieve their aim.

Aaron joins forces with local cop, Sergeant Raco, who has his own doubts about Luke's guilt. Evidence soon accrues that suggests Luke is innocent. Aaron's memories of the past surface and the mystery of Ellie's death becomes clear. Aaron and Raco slowly begin to uncover the secrets, lies and fears buried in Kiewarra.


This is a well written, atmospheric, page-turning mystery. I thoroughly enjoyed it but didn't work out "who dunnit".


∼ Happy Reading ∼ 

Polly x

6 comments:

  1. You always come up with really interesting books, Polly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, I can't take all the credit though, this was a bookclub choice.

      Delete
  2. I'm not reading any Australian murder mystery right now, but I AM watching an Australian murder mystery TV series called "Eden." We're enjoying trying to figure it out so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, ha, I like your comment "trying to figure it out"! Sounds like the TV series "Lost" from 17 years ago, each time I thought I had it figured out it changed again!

      Delete
  3. I've read all her books, and I read this one some years ago. Like you, I was a bit confused about who did it, but I love her writing, it's so atmospheric, I can really imagine being in the searing-hot outback. I was disappointed by The Survivors though, I didn't think it came alive in the way the others did. She gave an interesting talk at a local crime bookshop some time back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of her other books. It must have been good to meet her. My "To read" list is so long I wonder if I will ever get through it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...