7 February 2021

The Dig


So many people told me how good The Dig is so last night I settled down to watch it. Oh my word everyone was right, it is absolutely delightful, with some wonderful actors/actresses. 
Ralph Fiennes: Basil Brown
Carey Mulligan: Edith Pretty
Lily James: Peggy Piggott
Monica Dolan: May Brown
Ken Stott: Charles Phillips

I'm a little bit in love with Ralph Fiennes.  
I have seen Monica Dolan in many dramas, she is a great actress.
Carey Mulligan beautifully crafted the role of Edith.

The story is based on an amazing archaeological find. 

On the eve of World War II, a British widow Edith Pretty (Carey Mulligan) hires self-taught archaeologist Basil Brown (Ralph Fiennes) to dig up large burial mounds at her rural estate in Sutton Hoo because she had a “feeling” they would find something of note.
Working with a few assistants from the estate, Brown slowly excavates the more promising of the mounds which he thinks could be Anglo-Saxon rather than the most commonly held opinion of the Viking era. He uncovers iron rivets from a ship which could only make it the burial site of someone of tremendous importance such as a king. 
News of the discovery spreads and Cambridge archaeologist Charles Phillips arrives, declares the site to be of national importance and takes over the dig by order of the Office of Works. Brown is retained only to keep the site in order, but Edith intervenes and Basil resumes digging.
Phillips brings in a large team including Peggy Piggott who uncovers the first distinctively Anglo-Saxon artefact. He wants to send all the items to the British Museum but Edith, concerned about the possible war raids on London, asserts her rights, and an inquest confirms she is the owner of the ship and its priceless treasure. The items are kept safe in a London underground for the duration of the war.
Before her death Edith donated the treasure to the British Museum requesting that Brown be given recognition for his work. 
They were first exhibited nine years after Edith's death, with no mention of Brown. Only recently was he given full credit for his contribution and his name is now displayed permanently alongside Pretty's.  
I liked the way the film also dealt with the personal lives of the people involved in the dig, and the charming friendship Brown formed with Pretty's son Robert (beautifully acted by Archie Barnes), who was a keen amateur archaeologist.

Update
I felt fine after my covid vaccination until I went to bed. I had a headache and felt very hot, I didn't have a temperature but I was HOT, and I don't mean sexy hot!! it was uncomfortable hot, I didn't get much sleep. This morning I was tired and felt ill. I have spent the day on the sofa sleeping, drinking lots of water and tea and taking paracetamol. I'm pleased to say I am feeling much better now.

Be safe and well ~
Polly x

16 comments:

  1. Hey, My Rare One and I just watched "The Dig" yesterday afternoon! We enjoyed it too. It is quite a slow-moving film by North American standards, and quite dimly lit -- lots of shadows and sepia colours. But it does deal with big issues like love, life, death, war, passion, etc. so very worthwhile to watch. Interesting parallel as well that they were digging up an Anglo-Saxon ship from the Dark Ages migration of germanic peoples to England at the same time as WW2 Germans were about to attempt a military invasion of England using "ships of the air."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the way it dealt with the personal lives of the people behind the dig.

      Delete
  2. I just found a short (under 6 minutes) film on the spectacular treasure recovered from the Sutton Hoo site featured in "The Dig" -- watch it on Full Screen setting for the best effect! What gorgeous stuff!

    https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/medieval-world/early-medieval-art/early-medieval-objects/v/sutton-hoo-ship-burial-c-700

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, thank you so much for the link, it's very interesting, and lovely to see those beautiful artefacts cleaned up and on display. While I was watching it I thought about the people who made them all those years ago.

      Delete
  3. My name is Pretty and I have an ancestor Edith. Our Prettys were from Chard, Somerset.

    People have various reactions to the vaccine here too. They haven’t lasted long though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, they say a vaccine reaction is a good sign because it means your immune system is kicking in. Glad you had something good to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was reassuring to think that my immune system was working well :-)

      Delete
  5. The Dig is on my Netflix watch list. I should have picked it for tonight but now it's too late. I've heard it's awfully good and what a wonderful cast.

    Was that your first or second jab? Well, your immunities are kicking in! Good. But no fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeanie, it was my first. The film is very good, you will love it :-)

      Delete
  6. I've heard great things as well - going to watch it tonight! I've had my second covid vaccination and felt exactly the same! Couldn't even get out of bed.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amalia, glad to hear you've had both now :-)

      Delete
  7. That was an unfortunate reaction to the vaccine. But Bijoux is probably right about your immune system kicking in.

    I hadn't noticed The Dig. Must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We also enjoyed this program, Polly, and the book of the same title by John Preston is on a future to-read list. I also looked at the artifacts on the British Museum's site. Thanks for the update on your Covid shot. We had the first with the second upcoming in March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When (hopefully soon) covid restrictions are relaxed I would like to visit the British Museum.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...