12 February 2021

Lincoln

Lincoln is a Cathedral city in the East Midlands. It’s known for the medieval Cathedral, with early printed books in a Wren-designed library. Lincoln Castle houses a Victorian prison and a copy of the Magna Carta. The Museum of Lincolnshire Life has social history exhibits in Victorian barracks. The Collection is a museum displaying local archaeology. Nearby, the Usher Gallery has works by Turner and Lowry. The city is also home to the University of Lincoln and Bishop Grosseteste University. Rich in history and culture, unique boutique shopping and no shortage of wonderful places to eat, drink and stay it makes for a good day out or a few days mini break.


My friend M and I visited last October on a day trip with our favourite local coach company. 
On arrival we had the option of leaving the coach near the main shopping centre or staying
on board to travel up to the historical part of the city and walk down.


I'm glad we did, it's a very steep walk down, it would have been much harder the other way round.


The Cathedral

This lovely Tudor building houses the Tourist Information Centre


Halloween display in the Castle grounds


After visiting the Cathedral, Castle and Information Centre we
headed down the hill to the shops and food.

I would love to have had a look inside this house

There were lots of lovely eating places, I fancied a pasta dish but M wanted to  go to M&S,
she likes their jacket potatoes, it was very nice.

We then did what comes naturally - shopping, mostly in charity shops!


This one had some lovely displays



Running mannequin

We made our way down to the pick up point and had time for a hot chocolate
before boarding the coach for home.

We have mini breaks booked for March and April, I don't think the March one will go ahead,
I hope the April one does. Goodness me, we have to get the economy moving again soon.

Be safe and well ~
Polly x

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day! I’d love to visit the cathedral and castle. How neat to compare the illustration with the current day. I hope your spring trip is a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy postcards from all the placed I visit nowadays, I like to compare then and now.

      Delete
  2. What a contrast between the ancient Tudor home and the ultra-modern one! Sounds like a delightful day, all in all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely city and one often overlooked as a tourist destination. We're so lucky to have so many interesting and beautiful places crammed onto our small island. It'll be better still when we're able to visit them all once more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hear, hear John, I can't wait to go out on our day trips again.

      Delete
  4. The cathedral alone would have been reason enough to visit. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always in awe of cathedrals, huge amazing buildings and beautiful architecture.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you and your friend enjoyed a wonderful getaway, and the buildings were quite wonderful to see. Hope you get away on future adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beatrice, we do too, we're missing our outings.

      Delete
  6. That's an amazing-looking house. I'd like to have a peek inside as well. It looks like something from Grand Designs! The house in photos 1 and 10 looks as if it's about to fall down. And I gather you can walk round the whole city wall just as you can in Chester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can walk round the city but it's quite hilly and my friend has a problem with one of her ankles.

      Delete
  7. I've had Lincoln on my list ever since I came across it in a book (can't remember which one). Thanks for taking us along, Polly, it was good to see it through your eyes until I can get there. Oh, and can you believe I have that exact decorated sewing machine? I inherited it from my grandmother.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow Amalia, that's excellent, I'm so envious, they are great machines. My mother in law had one years ago but I don't know what happened to it.

      Delete
  8. What a fascinating place to visit. But I'm surprised the trip even happened with pandemic. All those types of trips have been canceled here all year.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marcia. The trip was in between lockdowns!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...