30 July 2020

A New Patio

A few weeks into lockdown we finally got round to clearing and demolishing a shed. I forgot to take before photos of the mess it was in.


This was the shed when we first moved in, the green one. It was in fairly good condition, but a piece was missing from rear of the base of the roof, and the right side door was slightly dodgy. Over the years the door loosened off its hinges, and the right side got pushed out when some shelves inside fell over. Eventually the door fell off and the side caved in so it had to go. We hired a skip, emptied the contents and demolished it.

It seemed a good idea to sort out the wooden shed too.
Before

 After. I actually got excited about it being tidy and being able to find everything! 

Next job - paint the shed which my lovely daughter did

I hung some bunting

And now I have a lovely new patio

and a smarter shed

and when the weather is fine I have breakfast here, sit and read, or just sit and contemplate the garden


I vividly remember receiving my first bicycle on my 15th birthday. I cycled everywhere in those days. I had that bike forever, and I think my daughters used it before getting new ones of their own. Eventually it was spending more time in the shed than on the roads. When I got divorced and had a good clear out it went to the tip. I replaced it with this one above. I kept it at my daughter's house to use when I visited and we all went cycling, then used it to get to know the area when I moved here, and latterly cycling the country lanes around the village. I think it's about 5 years since I last used it, the main road is too busy with very fast moving traffic, and people often drive too fast along country lanes. My mind age still wants to go cycling, but my physical age knows it's no longer a sensible thing to do, BUT I didn't want to get rid of the bike! so it became a plant holder! Next year I might put a panier over the back wheel.

That begonia at the front is taking ages to flower.
Those fence panels need painting, they were out of sight when the shed was there!

Be safe and well ~ 
Polly x

20 comments:

  1. You did a great job tidying and cleaning up the area. You have another room now. The bike planter is such a wonderful addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie, I'm very pleased with my new patio.

      Delete
  2. Oh Polly, well done! It looks fabulous! Love the color and the bunting is just perfect. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very smart shed, but if it's like mine it won't stay tidy very long. I still use my bike though last week I contrived to fall off! The ground came up very fast and was unnecessarily hard, but I didn't shatter on impact - though I didn't bounce very well either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you didn't break anything. Yes, we of a certain age don't bounce anymore. I'm making a huge effort to keep the shed tidy!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful job! And what a great new way to enjoy your bike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the idea from a decorated Christmas bike at Fremantle markets a couple of years ago.

      Delete
  5. Every time anything gets a good clear-out it looks better and that's so true of your shed now, Polly. Your daughter did a great job with the painting and color selection and now you have a nice sitting area where the former storage shed stood. I hear you on bike riding as we did it last weekend and I managed to stay upright, but over some of the bumps and hills it was challenging. Your bike planter is very colorful with its flower basket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The repainted shed looks great. There was a very dilapidated shed at our previous house which I dismantled and disposed of. It was empty because we kept garden tools and stuff in the garage. Nowadays most people's garages seem to be extra household storage space rather then a place for the car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick. I've never understood why people don't use their garages for the car.

      Delete
  7. What a great job its amazing the difference a coat of paint and some bunting makes. Love the bike as a plant holder, looks charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine. You're right, it's still the same old shed but the paint gives it a new lease of life.

      Delete
  8. Paint sure can make a difference! You’ve made a charming patio and I love that you have breakfast out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having breakfast there. You're right about paint, I think the shed is good for a few more years now :-)

      Delete
  9. That looks so pretty! What a great place to spend time in the yard. I especially love the bunting. Fixing up our porch has been on the to-do list for years, but this post makes me want to get around to it now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the color you chose to paint the shed...and so organized too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...