5 August 2020

Buster

Our Buster is a little trooper. It's four weeks and two days since he had his leg amputated. He's mastered his balance, he runs out into the garden to check the side of the shed where he thinks the neighbours cat might be, he loves his food, he loves laying outside on the lawn, and he loves our walks, and he's pleased to meet up with all our doggie friends.
For a few days after the operation he was slightly groggy from all the medication so we didn't do much in the way of walks. Then we started doing the short walk up to the playing field, where I would let him off the lead and he would walk and run round the perimeter. Strictly speaking dogs aren't welcome on the playing field and definitely not without a lead on. I know it was wrong but I justified my actions to myself because I wanted to monitor his progress by how many laps of the field he could do with no restrictions of the lead. When an amputee dog walks it's no longer a smooth walk, it's a bouncing action which makes the lead swing, a bit like a skipping rope. It's ok to walk through the playing field to a footpath through a farmer's field. I always took him there for a wee and poo so he didn't do it in the playing field. There are two bins in the field but I prefer them not to do any at all.
Last Sunday the caretaker of the playing field was cutting the grass as we arrived. Now it's one thing to use it in his absence but I wasn't going to brazen it out right under his nose so we went through the field and kept going to the lane. They were on the leads as we approached the lane, at which point I turned round to head home. Buster refused to move. I thought if I removed his lead he would follow me and Rufus, but no, I turned round and there he was running down the lane, he wasn't ready to go home! So now we're doing our usual daily walk. Occasionally he stands still or lays down for a bit of a rest. Rufy and I just sit down (or I stand depending on where we are) with him until he is ready to move on.
He's a super trooper.
To all the amputee dogs out there you are all super trooper stars.

🐾 Be safe and well🐾
Polly x

16 comments:

  1. There is so much we can learn from our canine friends. They have such spirit. Buster is a trooper indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He coped better than I did in the early days.

      Delete
  2. Good for Buster! He's an example to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! He really is a trooper! I’m glad he’s recovered and ready for adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a bit of an adventure for them, all the different smells of other dogs and the wild animals.

      Delete
  4. Oh, this is such good news, Polly. You must be tremendously overjoyed and relieved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeanie, yes I do feel much better than I did a few weeks ago.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like he's adjusted to the missing leg very quickly. A trooper indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has Nick, very occasionally he goes to cock his leg for a wee, then remembers and just squats!

      Delete
  6. It seems that Buster has adjusted well to the loss of his limb. Luckily he had 3 others to help with his balance and good to read he is getting around quite well and having fun outdoors. You must be so relieved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buster is living up to his name and full of three legged courage bless. I love the thought of him not wanting to go home!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to know just how far to walk, I have to remember we have to do the same amount of time going back!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...