13 July 2020

Buster

It's a week since Buster had the operation. He had a check up this morning and the vet is pleased with his progress. The wound is healing very well, the stitches are internal and will dissolve. They didn't put a dressing on it and Buster didn't take to the traditional Elizabethan collar (I didn't think he would!), so they put a sort of sleeveless babygrow on him to stop him licking the wound. I had to sew up the opening where the second leg would go through, and it did the job, he couldn't get to it. That can come off on Wed, but if he licks or nibbles the wound it will have to go back on.
He's coping much better with his balance, he can lower himself onto the floor now, and get up again.
He's functioning normally and is keen to go for walks, but very short ones at the moment. After a few minutes he stops and sits down. His one front leg is now having to do the job of two, it will take a while to strengthen it. 

28 comments:

  1. That's wonderful news, Polly! Glad he's adjusting so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled he is doing so well, hope you are too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine. I have positive days when I'm sure he's going to be ok, but then negative moments when I feel so bad and question if we've done the right thing.

      Delete
  3. Good for Buster! He's a real trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear he’s getting back to normal. I love his name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Buster! Go Buster! Go Buster! Go Buster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're brilliant Ivy, I will look at your comment when I'm having a bad day :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad he's doing well, Polly. I know that had to be a big concern. On the mend is a huge plus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buster is healing well and quickly by the sound of it. Go Buster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gets a little bit better each day :-)

      Delete
  8. Good to hear that Buster is over the worst and on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope Buster heals quickly! Our previous dog Zoe did not wear a collar, I was with her 24/7 and told her to not lick (and it worked and I was sleep deprived but it was worth it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. I don't think I could cope doing that, I need a good night's sleep!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the update on Buster and best wishes to him for continued healing. Glad that he and you have been able to get out for some (short) walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beatrice. He absolutely loved his walk this morning.

      Delete
  11. Sounds as if he's recovering well. As you say, it'll take a while to strengthen the remaining leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is Nick, but I think we overdid it yesterday so today has been a quiet rest day.

      Delete
  12. Here's to Buster's continual improvements - yes those elizabethan collars are tricky!
    Happy weekend.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just popped back to read about Buster, so happy to hear he is adapting well Polly. We had a cat with three legs since she was a kitten, she lived a long and happy life 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's had a good day today. Getting stronger and more confident :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...