27 July 2020

Cromer

Last week my friend M and I did our first day trip this year with our local coach company. There are a few restrictions - passenger numbers are reduced by half, everyone has to sit in a window seat for boarding but once under way we can move to sit with partner/friend. We have to wear a mask and the driver takes our temperature before boarding.

Waiting for the coach to arrive, mask ready. I think the blue side out is the correct way to wear it.
I keep meaning to make one but don't seem to get round to it!
En-route to our destinations we always stop for a coffee break. This stop was in the pretty village of Dedham, the heart of Constable country. Britain's greatest landscape painter, John Constable attended Dedham grammar school, and, at nearby Flatford Mill is where he painted ‘The Haywain’.


Dedham high street is lined with pretty Georgian-fronted houses, old inns and an art and crafts centre - above with a bit of my finger in the bottom left corner! We don't have very long on these coffee stops, just enough time for coffee and a short walk around. I've been to Dedham before, I bought a lovely silver ring at this craft centre.
Back on the coach and onwards to our destination.

Postcard
Cromer is a traditional seaside resort, some would say old fashioned, I guess it is, but M and I like that (being of a certain age!). It has a Victorian pier, a lifeboat station and Pavilion Theatre, where the UK’s only remaining traditional end of the pier variety show takes place each Summer and Winter.

The pier has an interesting history. As well as having withstood many storms and tidal surges it even survived an attempt to blow it up by the Government in WW2 to prevent the pier being used as a landing strip for enemy invaders!

Postcard
I didn't take many photos, I don't like dragging M around looking for good photo shots, so again I bought some postcards. We love looking in charity shops and clothes shops (I bought a pair of trousers), and there were a couple of lovely trendy souvenir shops (I bought a fridge magnet and the postcards). 
Lunch was at No1 Cromer, a spacious modern 2 storey restaurant with sea views. I had read about it online, and as we were looking at the outside menu a couple leaving said "It's well worth queuing for". And how right they were. Dear reader if you visit Cromer and like fish and chips then give your taste buds a treat. I had the mini cod and chips which was just right for my appetite. It was delicious. We both agreed they were the lightest, tastiest fish and chips we have ever had, and we've had a few!

Time for a bit more strolling around

Bookworms bookshop


Impressive Harley Davdison


before boarding the coach for home. 
We had a lovely day.

〜 Stay Safe & Well 

Polly x

14 comments:

  1. That looks lovely and so interesting about the pier. I’m glad you were able to go on a day trip. My husband and I are planning a day trip this Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a good day out on Friday.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like the perfect excursion! It must have felt so good to be out and about! Such a pretty area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun day out, nice to have a little normality back into your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to be going out on day trip again.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a lovely time! I like the postcard with the rainbow flip-flops in the sand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like the most wonderful day and one I would enjoy tremendously. I love the idea of the traditional seaside town with the pavillion and all. And those beach houses are wonderful. Plus it looks like the company did a good job on keeping people safe. Well done and I know it felt good to get away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeanie, yes it was a good day, the company did a very good job as did the restaurant. We're doing another trip on Thursday :-)

      Delete
  6. Fish and chips by the sea - how exciting a day out! we have a collection of fridge magnets of places we have been too! Happy days
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cromer looks lovely. For some reason I never got that far when I lived in London. Amazing that the pier has survived so long without any calamities - despite the attempt to blow it up! I know Southend Pier has been wrecked and rebuilt several times.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...