21 July 2020

Eastbourne

Yesterday my friend M and I went on a day trip to Cromer with our local coach company, it was so good to do something akin to "normal activities". More on that later. Meanwhile last November the last trip we did with the company was to Eastbourne, a resort town on England’s southeast coast, advertised as the UK's sunniest place. We didn't expect much sunshine in November, but, with sunshine and clouds, a mild temperature, and not very many people around, we had a good day.
  
The splendid Grand Hotel

19th-century Pier 

elegant art deco inspired 1930's bandstand

three miles of pristine palm-lined promenade

There is an Art Gallery; a Fortress built during the Napoleonic Wars which has a military museum. I think it was closed at the time of our visit because I don't have any photos. 
Along the coast, in South Downs National Park, are the chalk cliffs of Beachy Head and its striped 1902 lighthouse. We didn't make it that far!
Lunch time, and a trip to the seaside wouldn't be complete without fish'n'chips :-)

                                                  Elegant town houses and      a proud lion statue outside a hotel

Not elegant or proud but quite a pretty scavenger

We didn't dip our toes in the water, it was too cold for that!

〜 Stay Safe & Well 
Polly x

15 comments:

  1. That hotel really is grand. As are some of the cars parked outside. The purple chairs are quite unusual. Looks like a delightful day trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling of almost normal after the isolation. Hope you can have another excursion soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hoping to do another one soon, and then a couple in August.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to walk up and down that boardwalk and have a drink in the Grand Hotel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we go on our day trips we treat ourselves to a nice meal, glass of wine, shopping and chocolate :-) We did consider having lunch at the Grand but decided that it would be very expensive and probably not very much better than the fish-n-chips we had in a more reasonable restaurant!

      Delete
  4. My parents used to take my two brothers and myself there during our summer holidays when I still had plaits and skipped. I wonder if I would recognise it today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seafront probably hasn't changed much, but everywhere else might have. I had a ponytail and I loved skipping :-)

      Delete
  5. I love the bandstand. I'm picturing it full of music and life on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Haven't decided yet what they are playing. But I'm having an ice-cream.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent Amalia, I would love to join you :-)

      Delete
  6. When I was living on my own in London, I used to go to Eastbourne and Beachy Head quite often. A lovely spot. I was fond of Hastings too - though it wasn't nearly as smart as Eastbourne!

    Indeed, something akin to normal activities. There won't be a genuine "normal" for some time yet. Jenny and I plan to visit a local pizzeria tomorrow, after many months of closed restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm longing to get away. This looks lovely and I'm so glad you could share and remember this fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you manage to get away sometime soon Jeanie.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful excursion you and your friend had, Polly, and even more amazing is that you were able to go on one. Most excursions we know of have been cancelled indefinitely including one we had planned to Canada this Sept. That said, we've decided to go on a few short car road trips, but won';t see anything quite as grand as that hotel and palm tree lined walkway!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...