29 March 2024

A Good Read

After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell

Alice Raikes takes a train from London to Scotland to visit her family, but when she gets there she witnesses something so shocking that she insists on returning to London immediately. A few hours later Alice is lying in a coma after an accident that may or may not have been a suicide attempt. Alice's family gathers at her bedside and as they wait, argue, and remember, long-buried tensions emerge. The more they talk, the more they seem to conceal. Alice, meanwhile, slides between varying levels of consciousness, recalling her past and a love affair that recently ended.
Although some of it is a bit grim it is also a compelling read that moves through different time zones and multiple points of view.

∼ Happy Reading∼ 

Polly x

6 comments:

  1. Sounds intriguing, but I try not to do "grim" these days. World news is too grim on its own and I don't need any additional grim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a book club choice, I probably wouldn't have chosen it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was despite some of it being a bit depressing.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy learning about an author new to me, so thank you Polly for this book synopsis. I am currently reading books by Freida McFadden and would recommend her as I suspect you might enjoy her quick thriller type reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beatrice, I have her books on my reading list.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...