23 March 2023

A Very Good Read

Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell

In the 1580’s a couple living in Henley Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, had three children: Susanna, and twins Hamnet and Judith. The boy Hamnet died aged eleven. Four years or so later, the father wrote a play called Hamlet.

The story starts on a summer’s day in 1596. A young girl takes to her bed with a fever. Her twin brother, Hamnet, searches everywhere for help. Why is nobody at home?

Their mother Agnes, is over a mile away tending her garden where she grows medicinal herbs. Their father is working in London. Neither parent knows that one of their children will not survive the week.

This beautifully written novel, almost poetic in places, is inspired by the son of a famous playwright. The playwright is never mentioned by name, just referred to as husband, father, brother or son. It is a story of the bond between twins, and of a marriage pushed to the brink by grief.

It is also the story of a kestrel and its mistress; a flea that boards a ship in Alexandria; and a glovemaker’s son who flouts convention in pursuit of the woman he loves. Above all, it is the tender reimagining of a boy whose life has been all but forgotten, but whose name was given to one of the most celebrated plays ever written.


∼ Happy Reading∼ 

Polly x

11 comments:

  1. How great is reading? So great! Happy Reading indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the latest read for our local book group. The weird thing was that I just couldn't get into it, it left me quite cold for some reason. I skimmed through 100 pages, hoping I would get into it but I couldn't. It's odd because I've read two of her other books and enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had replied but it's not here. Dare I say the book is more of a woman's read?

      Delete
    2. Funny, someone in my book group said the same thing! But I've happily read lots of books by women so I don't think that's the problem.

      Delete
  3. This does sound good! I wonder "who" the unnamed playwright could be, lol?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read this book yet. It's good to read your summary to give me an idea of what it's about. Maybe I will add it to my to read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Karen.

      Delete
  5. This is one I've wanted to read. Thanks for the good review, which inspires me all the more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...