9 November 2022

A Good Read

Big Sky by Kate Atkinson

This is the last of the Jackson Brodie series, it’is not essential to read them in order but after this I did then want to do just that. I love Atkinson’s novels, she has a wonderful way with words, evocative and vividly descriptive characters and plots. 

This one has a sinister opening – eastern European sisters Nadja and Katja are skyping with the representative of an employment agency called Anderson Price Associates, who is arranging to fly them to the UK to take up jobs in high-end hospitality. Nooo, the reader cries, don’t do it. Sure enough, with the Skype connection severed, we learn that the swanky offices they can see behind “Mr Price” are a stage set.

Meanwhile ex-military police, ex-Cambridge Constabulary Jackson has relocated to a quiet seaside village, with the occasional company of his recalcitrant teenage son and an ageing Labrador. Now working as a private investigator, his current fairly mediocre job is gathering proof of an unfaithful husband, but a chance encounter with a desperate man on a crumbling cliff leads him into a sinister network of  child  abuse, human trafficking and kidnapping.

With a trio of golfing mates, a feisty trophy wife and an excellent plot there are plenty of turns to keep the reader engrossed, and although it is far from a comedy, it does have some funny moments.


Despite the subject matter it is a very good novel, I thoroughly enjoyed it.


∼ Happy Reading ∼ 

Polly x

8 comments:

  1. It's a tough book isn't it? But it is very well written and gripping. I love the Brodie series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeanie, yes it is, I almost didn't want to read it.

      Delete
  2. I've ready some of the Jackson Brodie books and will have to add this one to my "want to read" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pam, I very nearly didn't read it because of the subject content, but it isn't all bad, and is definitely worth reading.

      Delete
  3. I placed a hold☺️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember if I've read this. Sounds vaguely familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep a diary of books I've read for just those occasions!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...