25 February 2022

A Very Good Read

Girl Woman Other by Bernardine Evaristo

This was a book club choice and I was sure I wouldn’t enjoy it, I thought it was going to be very political, I couldn’t have been more wrong. Full of life and energy, Girl, Woman, Other has been described as a love song to modern Britain and black womanhood.

The novel follows the lives and struggles of twelve very different characters. Mostly women, black and British, they tell the stories of their families, friends and lovers, across the country and through the years.

It is written without punctuation at the start and finish of sentences, which at first is a bit off putting but I quickly adapted to it and it didn’t detract from the narrative or the enjoyment. Whilst one could say that sentence punctuation is not essential to interpretation, which might be of interest in an academic linguistic sense, I couldn't really see any literary purpose.


It's an excellent read, I was enthralled with the characters and their lives. I thoroughly recommend it.

∼ Happy Reading ∼ 

Polly x

12 comments:

  1. I’ve enjoyed a lot of Booker Prize winners in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lack of punctuation would put me off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was one of my favourite books in 2021. Well written, vivid, touching on all sorts of interesting issues. I'd definitely recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds an interesting read. I used to know someone who talked without punctuation, that didn't add anything to clarity and comprehension!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would find that difficult to follow.

      Delete
  5. Glad you enjoyed this read, Polly, but as a former editor I would found the grammatical non-structure difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why the author chose to write like that.

      Delete
  6. Ah, I just picked this up at a book swap.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...