17 December 2020

My Great Mince Pie Survey

Yes it's that time of year again, the one where I get to eat lots of mince pies in 
the name of market research :-)
I would like to add that I don't eat all of them, they are shared with my family!

Co-op only £1
Butter enriched pastry filled with spiced mincemeat and dusted with sugar.
Very nice tasty pastry, a tiny bit flaky but not crumbling to pieces. Nice tasty filling.

Tesco finest £1.75
 All butter pastry with cognac, brandy and port.
Absolutely delicious, tasty firm pastry with a lovely fruity boozy filling

Aldi £1.49
All butter classic mince pies with brandy and cognac.
Delicious, firm tasty pastry with a lovely fruity filling 

Co-op Irresistible £2
All butter pastry with a rich spiced fruit and brandy filling.
Pastry is a little bit crumbly but a very nice tasty pie.

Aldi 35p, yes that's correct just 35p reduced from 70p
Six deep filled mince pies. Shortcrust pastry with a mincemeat filling.
A basic mince pie, pastry is very flaky, but nevertheless a tasty pie.
For just under 6 pence each these were a bargain, but I did have bad indigestion later!

Morrisons £1.75
9 all butter pies with rich and fruity brandy-infused filling.
You can really taste the lovely butter pastry, nice filling. 

 Be warm and well  
Polly x


20 comments:

  1. We read that Sainsburys Taste The Difference mince pies were the pick of the crop. They're pricey though - £2.00 for six. We've bought a few but haven't tried them yet. Will let you know our verdict!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sainsbury's are way over the other side of town so I don't shop there. Yes let me know what you think. I've just realised I haven't tried M&S.

      Delete
    2. I've seen mince pies at $24 for nine. That's pricey!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely necessary in the name of market research. Maybe you could try the chocolate logs for us? You are doing a great job lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh you've upped the game now Lorraine. It will my great pleasure to research chocolate logs!! :-)

      Delete
  3. You've sure got a lot of selection to choose from! Mince tarts are harder to find here in Canada and expensive to boot. This year I'm going to bake my own, but using frozen tart shells and a commercially made mincemeat. At least, they'll be cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make my own pastry with bought mincemeat, and I made Christmas cakes but I can't be bothered now! It's probably cheaper to buy them anyway.

      Delete
  4. The suffering you put yourself through to bring us your blog! They all sound good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know John, I'm always willing to go the extra mile for my readers :-)

      Delete
  5. I love mince pies (but not with actual meat) because I love the spices. I’d be the only one eating it in my household though, like fruitcake, so I miss out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see I buy lots of them but with family sharing we get through them quickly.

      Delete
  6. It is a tough job sampling all those mince pies, right? Glad you were up to the task and wish you could have shared some of the tasting. Which one was the favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is Beatrice, but I take it very seriously:-) Tesco's finest with brandy and port was my favourite.

      Delete
  7. Tough job all that market research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Marie, but someone has to do it :-)

      Delete
  8. Mince pie is something we never see here in the states. I wish we did. I feel like I should try to learn to make one. Certainly recipes abound! I'm just not sure my skills are up to the task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your skills would be Jeanie. After years of buying them I'm going to make some. I have some pastry in the freezer and port and brandy in the cupboard so I just need to buy a jar of mince meat.

      Delete
  9. I've never tasted a mince pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are more of an English thing. Originally they were quite large pastry cases filled with meat, but over the years the meat was replaced with dried fruits, spices, suet, sugar and alcohol, and they became smaller.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...