26 February 2018

A Cold Day in Cambridge

Last Friday my friend M and I had a day in Cambridge, and let me tell you dear reader it was cold, very cold. But even on a very cold day in February the Cambridge University Botanic Garden was a delight.  John at 'By Stargoose And Hanglands' did a post about it a few weeks ago and after seeing his beautiful photos I decided I would like to visit.  

John also mentioned the superb Winter Garden, thank you John.
Just look at all this glorious winter colour.

Mother nature never ceases to amaze me, 
how she creates tiny delicate blooms that remain unscathed by harsh frosts and biting winds.

 The golden beauty of Fenland grasses

The Glasshouses provided some respite from the cold as we visited the beautiful Orchids exhibition

Collage courtesy of befunky.com

And the Alpine House


All these darling tiny plants

The Arid Lands House


After a cup of hot chocolate in the cafe we wandered into the city centre.


Lunch was our favourite - fish n chips, followed by browsing around the market 
and a few shops before making our way back to the coach pick up point


We thought this swan might be hoping for some food


Because even after turning round it was still with the punt, now joined by a couple of ducks!


And still there


The coach company we use do a few visits to Cambridge throughout the year
On our next visit we will tour Kings College.

~Be warm and well ~
Polly x

26 comments:

  1. Wat zullen jullie genoten hebben Polly, ondanks de kou ziet het
    er allemaal zeer warm en kleurrijk uit. Prachtig omdat allemaal
    te bekijken. Wat een enorme bloemenpracht Wowwww en zoveel
    verschillende soorten, fantastisch!!!

    Wens je een mooie nieuwe week toe......

    Lieve groeten,
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post and will look forward to the next "edition." Cambridge is on my list of places I want to visit when I (hopefully) get to England in the fall. Too early to be specific but I have fond memories of going there for a day 40 years ago and would love to visit again! I wonder if the place I bought my china is still in business? Loved the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you manage to get there, it is a lovely place with some lovely established shops, so your china shop might still be there :-)

      Delete
  3. We visited Kensington park during our London visit, that is super beautiful garden..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some great photos despite the cold. Glad you enjoyed your visit, though it's a shame you couldn't have waited till the weekend when it was gloriously sunny. I'm sure you'll be impressed by King's Chapel too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John. Shame we couldn't book the weather the same as booking the coach!

      Delete
  5. Hello Polly,
    What a great trip! The pictures are just beautiful. It must have been such fun.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  6. I last went to Cambridge a few years ago with my elderly mum. Unfortunately she's now too old for such jaunts. I wasn't aware of the Botanic Garden. It looks well worth a visit.

    I also took my mum to Ely Cathedral, which is truly spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely recommend the Botanic Garden. If I lived in Cambridge I would visit regularly. Thanks for the info on Ely Cathedral.

      Delete
  7. Looks beautiful! So verdant and rich:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a feast for the eyes, a wonderful stroll around a beautiful garden. The fish and chips sound good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visual feast is a good description. We have other meals, but fish n chips is our favourite :-)

      Delete
  9. Surprised by the amount of colour in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so was I, especially at this time of year.

      Delete
  10. Even though it was very cold, this day trip looks like HEAVEN to me! Love your photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful shots - and the gardens do look impressive. I visited Oxford Botanical Gardens on a summer's day and they didn't look that good! Hope to make it to King's College this year too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, next time I go I hope it will be warmer!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful Photos.
    I have only been to Cambridge once when I went to see my son who was studying there a very long time ago. I was so beautiful. We rented a car and drove all over visiting some of my favorite places.
    Le sigh ....I can not travel anymore.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you parsnip. We hope to go again later in the year when it will be warmer! Sorry to hear you can't travel anymore.

      Delete
    2. I am very lucky I can view blogs like your that let me visit places I have been or would like to visit.

      Delete
    3. With all the blogs out there you can travel the world :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...