29 May 2024

May

The only advantages to all the rain we have had is a lush green lawn and rain water for my newly acquired rhododendron. Growing them in the garden was a failure so this one is in a pot with nice ericaceous soil 🤞

The dahlias I planted weeks ago still haven't shown themselves, I fear they may have rotted. Everything else in the garden is growing at an alarming rate, I can't keep up with removing leftovers from bluebells and forget-me-nots to provide space and light for azaeleas, clematis and hydrangeas.  

The gazebo is up but the weather is not responding accordingly, we've had more rain than sunshine

We've just had another bank holiday weekend here in the UK, although as a retiree bank holidays aren't as precious as when I was working. M and I went to our favourite garden centre again, we were there a couple of weeks ago which is when I got the rhododendron and we both bought dresses. M decided she didn't like hers so she returned it. We bought some geraniums.

May has been a very expensive month. MOT and service for my car followed by insurance renewal and tax. I also need to renew my travel insurance because I have booked a flight to Australia for next year, yeah ðŸ¦˜


We have a dinosaur at the market in town. Lots of people were admiring the artist's work. It looks much better than a big blank wall.

I'm working like a thing possessed on my dolls house, making a chimney breast, I can't believe how many mistakes I have made - warped foamboard and wrinkled paper used to cover the foamboard. I'm currently on the third attempt!! It's drying so I hope it will be ok.


I think this strawberry looks like a cute bear.

∼ Be safe and well∼ 
Polly x

12 comments:

  1. I went yesterday to see a display of miniatures at an artisanal crafts guild/store made by local Alberta artists. It was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True artisans make incredible miniatures.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering about the significance of the dinosaur statue at the market, Polly, as it seems a curious location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beatrice, it was a plain blank wall before, the dinosaur adds a smile to people's faces :-)

      Delete
  3. That strawberry is wonderful! Yes, the rain is good for the grass, that's for sure. Good luck with your mini-house. I know that has to be terribly difficult but rewarding to get it right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. The mini work is challenging at the moment.

      Delete
  4. I bought two dahlias. In two days the slugs had devoured them! Hope yours survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, I'm sure they have perished underground. My neighbour has lots of self sown ones, he has offered me some.

      Delete
  5. I was blessed with sunshine and reasonable amount of rainfall in May. With each rain, early-summer green has deepened. I love rhododendron. I have it in a pot, too. I think I know how you’re excited with the next year trip. Have a nice week.
    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is remarkably green around here, too. The rain is good for that. I hope your dahlias are just being slow to get going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas I have to accept that the dahlias are not going to grow. I'm trying to work out why, for all four of them to just not grow is unusual so I think my planting must be to blame :-(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...