2 February 2024

A Very Good Read

Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Kya Clark was barefoot and wild, for years she had been known as the Marsh Girl. As a very young girl Kya watched her Mother walk  away without looking back. Soon, all her siblings followed suit, leaving Kya alone with her drunk, abusive and often absent father, who also eventually left. She had to care for their home, learn to shop, to provide food, cook and clean, all while dealing with loneliness, abandonment, loss and prejudice, and always wondering when and if her Mother would ever return. She spent one day at school but was so badly ridiculed she never returned.

But Kya was smart and clever with a curious mind. She knew the marsh and found ways to make money and provide for her basic needs. She learnt lessons in life, through nature and the wilderness surrounding her, and with help from books and her brother's friend Tate she learnt to read and write. The lovely couple 'Jumpin' and Mable showed her kindness and love, and the store cashier helped by often giving her too much change.

But while she had the skills to live in solitude forever, the time came when she yearned for company. Drawn to two young men from town, who were each intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opened herself to a new and startling world. But when popular but unpleasant Chase Andrews was found dead, locals immediately suspected Kya.

I was engaged with Kya’s story from the beginning. It is beautifully written with poetic prose and wonderful descriptions of the marshes. It has a little bit of everything, a likeable main character who tugs at the heartstrings, romance, murder mystery, courtroom drama and lovely characters who are kind - Tate, the cashier who gives back too much change and 'Jumpin' and Mable. I loved it and so did my book group.


∼ Happy Reading∼ 

Polly x

12 comments:

  1. I tried this book and just couldn't get into it, but its on our book group list, and as you've written about it as a very good read, I'll give it another go. Thank you Polly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book a couple of years ago and enjoyed it too. Have you seen the movie that was made of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't, I think one of my book club ladies suggested a cinema evening to watch it but nothing has been arranged yet!

      Delete
  3. I was put off reading for a long time because of all the hype of how good it was but when I did read it I found it really was as good as they said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it read a few yrs ago..saw the movie..it was streaming here in Canada:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was on Netflix but it isn't, I will try to find it elswhere.

      Delete
  5. I read this a few years ago and agree, it was a beautiful book. I watched the movie last year and it too was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only did I also read this book, Polly, but later watched the film made from it. You would most likely enjoy seeing it as well. I noticed that it was available on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was Beatrice, but not any longer. My book club talked about arranging a film night but we left it too long. I'm looking around to see where I can find it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...