9 February 2024

Rain Stops Play

Today I should have joined my u3a bus pass group for a trip to Harlow. My village is surrounded by countryside and fields and when we get a lot of rain the roads get flooded, not bad floods, (lots of people have to deal with much worse than some water on the roads). Roads into and out of my village were flooded, and more in the next village. It was possible to drive through the water but single file and slowly, so my journey took longer which meant despite leaving a bit earlier I was late arriving at the meeting point and missed the bus.
Many people who know Harlow think of it as not a nice place for a day trip but there are some nice parts of the town, and our group leader had arranged a tour of the Gibbert Gallery, I'm disappointed to miss that, but I'm sure my friend M and I can go another time.  
However, missing the bus meant I was able to attend the formal opening of my village church's new servery and toilet, attended by the Rt Hon Kemi Badenoch, the new Archdeacon of Chelmsford, a few reverends and lots  of villagers.


It was a nice do with hot drinks and cakes, which always go down well 😋

oOo

We have had a mixed bag of weather here in the UK - rain, wind, mild, cold, freezing cold and sunshine.


This part of our walk is lovely when the sun is shining because that hedgerow is a barrier against the wind.


∼ Be warm and well∼ 
Polly x 

16 comments:

  1. Well, at least you ended up having a fun time, even if it was different than the one you had planned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.. I'm so sorry you missed the bus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too Hena, but it turned out ok and I can always go another day with my friend.

      Delete
  3. Even though the plans changed because of the weather, Polly, you did manage to have an enjoyable time. What is a servery and is a toilet in the sense that I am thinking about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beatrice, a servery is a counter for serving food and drinks. And yes it is a toilet, seperate from the servery though. I think here in the UK if a business is serving food they need to provide a toilet as well.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you missed the bus. I'm confused by a formal opening of a toilet, and what is a servery, please?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janie, a servery is a counter for serving food and drink. I think the formal opening was suggested because it has taken so long to complete it the church people wanted a celebration.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the explanation. It makes perfect sense.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear you missed the bus, Polly :-(
    We have the same weather here (in Belgium) ... a few warmer and sunny days, it felt a bit like
    spring already !
    Hope you're having a nice week,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a wonderful walk. Though the course is same, we can get lots of discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you missed the bus! Looks like it turned okay though- Sending warm Florida sunshine your way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...