13 December 2023

A Wonderful Read

Dewey by Vicki Myron
How much of an impact can an animal have? How many lives can one cat touch? How is it possible for an abandoned kitten to transform a small library, save a classic American town, and eventually become famous around the world? You can't even begin to answer those questions until you read the endearing story of Dewey Readmore Books, the beloved library cat of Spencer, Iowa, USA.
Dewey’s story began in January 1988. It was the coldest night of the year when someone dumped him in the night drop box of the town library. The following morning Vicki Myron, the Library Director found him under a pile of books. Only a few weeks old, he was thin, weak, trembling from the cold, and all his pads were frostbitten.

After a warm bath the tiny grey bundle turned out to be a beautiful ginger, the grey was dirt. From the moment he pulled himself up and hobbled to nudge each member of staff he won their hearts. The decision was made to keep him and he was named Dewey Readmore Books.

For the next nineteen years, he charmed the people of Spencer with his enthusiasm, warmth, humility, and, above all, his sixth sense about who needed him most.

As his fame grew from town to town, then state to state, and finally, amazingly, worldwide, Dewey became more than just a friend; he became a source of pride for an extraordinary Heartland farming town pulling its way slowly back from the greatest crisis in its history.


As well as a beautiful story about Dewey it's also a very interesting account of the struggles of Vicki's life, her parents and grandparents, and of the lives and struggles of the solid hardworking midwesterners of America's Heartland. A definite must read book.


There is a lovely video on Youtube here


∼ Happy Reading∼ 
Polly x

16 comments:

  1. I love it when I have a book that is a good read as well. Or, when I have a book and I just cannot for the life of me, put it down. Those are the best..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It a joy to get a book you can't put down.

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh, so true. For me it's been two photography magazines that I just keep going back to over and over. Love that. Happy 2024!

      Delete
    3. Thank you Ivy, Happy 2024 to you too.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, this is a wonderful book! I read it a few years ago and was quite charmed by it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want it to end, then I was crying at the end.

      Delete
  3. I've never read a 'cat' book but this sounds a good one to try, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps not my kind of book, though I have seen the enormous joy that cats and dogs can bring to unhappy people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More and more homes, hospices and hospitals have visiting dogs and cats for therapy treatment nowadays.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a wonderful story, Polly, and I will check if available in book or Kindle form from my local library, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful Beatrice. A friend loaned me her copy but I'm going to get my own, it's the kind of book that would be lovely to read again and again.

      Delete
  6. I have this book on my to read pile! I'm so glad you liked it -- It might move up higher on the list thanks to your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do move it to the front of your pile Jeanie, you will be pleased you did :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...