24 May 2023

Marvellous May

The weather is warming up, daylight hours are extending to beyond 9o/clock, the countryside is a lush green again, happy days.


There are some lovely scents from the hedgerows,
I don't know what they are though.



The badgers continue to maintain and extend their setts. The original entrance is still there but they keep excavating into the field.


I think the landowner will be a bit cross. 


I lost five lavenders from the severe frosts we had over winter. They had grown very large and produced beautiful sweet smelling flowers. I have bought some more Hidcotes to replace them. Taking out the dead ones is VERY hard work and I can't get all the roots out, they are too hard, I can only do a small amount each time so it's going to take a while. My grandson was away last weekend but he is going to help me this weekend. Our eucalyptus tree also succumbed to the frost. On the bright side though lots of plants/shrubs are flourishing with new growth.
I was sitting on one of the garden loungers yesterday enjoying some really lovely warm weather. Later today I'm going for a walk with the U3A group. It's another afternoon one ending at a pub for a meal.

∼ Be safe and well ∼
Polly x

12 comments:

  1. Oh, the beautiful scents of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so lush and beautiful! I find the badger activity fascinating but I have never lived where they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walk past this sett a few times a week. It has been there for over ten years, I would love to see inside but never will. I hope they are a healthy thriving group.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry about your lavender. But I know what you mean about the scents. Last night some fragrance was blowing through the open window and I never wanted it to stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sitting in my lounge with the window open and I can smell something in the garden, and the darling little birds are chirping - heaven.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear your eucalyptus succumbed to the frost. Our eucalyptus is still going strong after circa 20 years and is now a good 50 feet high! Yes, the lush green after months of bare branches is always exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad that it's dead, but now we have the hassle of getting someone in to fell it.

      Delete
  5. A lot of plants didn't make it through the last winter, but hasn't it been wonderful for the last week or so?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the lavender.Fear not..mine returns after bitter frosts.I guess it could depend on the varietal..But keep the faith.We are having unseasonably hot weather and in true gardener form...I want rain.Dry as a prune everywhere:(A pub dinner sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were old and woody, and not at their best last year. They have gone now and lovely new ones have replaced them :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...