3 April 2023

A Good Read

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson
The setting is Edinburgh during the Fringe Festival, the street is crowded with people lining up to get into a venue. A man steps out into the road without looking, a Peugeot breaks suddenly to avoid hitting him and a Honda behind crashes into the Peugeot. The angry Honda driver gets out of his car and attacks the driver of the Peugeot. A bystander in the crowd throws his briefcase at the Honda guy, clipping him on the shoulder, and stopping the beating long enough for the police to arrive.
This accidental incident sets  off a chain reaction of events, and Jackson Brodie who is an innocent bystander gets drawn into what happens next. 
This is the second Jackson Brodie novel, and another good read. I like the characters that Kate Atkinson creates, I like reading about their lives, how events unfold and how they all become connected.
Each chapter is told from a different point of view, with a different character as its focus. The first chapter is told from the point of view of Peugeot Guy, the second by the gentle man who threw the briefcase. There is the wife of a shady real estate developer, a retired policeman whose girlfriend is acting in a Fringe production, a fading comedian whose career is bottoming out at the Fringe, and probably some others I have forgotten.

∼ Happy Reading∼ 

Polly x

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good! And the Fringe Festival would be a great setting for a mystery! We have North America's largest Fringe Festival here in Edmonton, and I love to fringe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edinburgh has been on my "to visit" list for years! I've never been to a fringe festival.

      Delete
  2. Polly, I have put Kate Atkinson on my library wish list for a Kindle copy, but to date it has not become available. I may just go to the library and se if a hardcover copy is available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kate Atkinson's Brodie series. I've read this but not for eons and it deserves a revisit!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...