10 April 2023

A Good Read


The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
627 miles in 87 days is how far Harold Fry walked after receiving a letter one morning in mid-April. The letter is from Queenie Hennessey. Twenty years have passed since they worked together at the brewery, and now Queenie was writing to say goodbye as she was dying from cancer. Harold writes a short reply and sets off to post it. However at the post box he has a kind of epiphany, he decides to deliver the letter in person. Wearing only a waterproof jacket over his shirt and trousers, and moccasins on his feet, none of the usual gear that one would need for a journey of this magnitude, he sets off for Berwick-upon-Tweed.
Along the way he experiences memories of his childhood, meeting his wife, becoming a parent, meeting Queenie. Lots of memories and regrets. He also meets lots of lovely people.

There were times when I felt frustrated at Harold’s refusal of help, and why embark on such a journey without adequate clothing and footwear. I know it was a spur of the moment thing but surely he could have popped back home first. But then that's me, I have to do things the right way!

As well as a pilgrimage I think it was also a kind of penance, as if Harold was punishing himself for his shortcomings. Overall I did enjoy it, and would recommend it.


∼ Happy Reading∼ 

Polly x

9 comments:

  1. I bet those moccasins didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Debra, they didn't, and if I remember correctly he padded them out with cardboard rather than allow a kind stranger to replace them!!

      Delete
  2. I remember reading this many years ago and being thoroughly entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that some years ago and it only took me a couple of days so I clearly enjoyed it. I think I'd have popped home for my boots too, but then I've never been a particularly spur-of-the-moment person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have acted on the spur of the moment once or twice, but mostly I prefer to plan.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed it too a few years back:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this book and there is a follow-up one in which his wife goes on a journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about that one, thank you Beatrice.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...