7 April 2023

Easter



I like hot cross buns as much as I like mince pies but I don't eat as many, and I don't usually do comparisons, but Aldi's luxury range are very good, they're not squelchy like some are.

The history of hot cross buns is a bit fuzzy, but they likely date back to the Middle Ages when it was a cultural institution to share sweet sacrifices with the gods. Many believe that monks first developed hot cross buns in the 1300s, then distributed them to feed the poor. In the late 1500s, when many English citizens believed the buns had magical or healing powers, Queen Elizabeth I began restricting their sale to only Good Friday, Christmas, and funerals so the magic wouldn't be abused. That's when many home bakers began whipping up their own hot cross buns.

Easter is synonymous with hot cross buns. Traditionally eaten on Good Friday, they mark the end of the Christian season of Lent, and different parts of the hot cross bun have a certain meaning - the cross representing the crucifixion of Jesus, the spices signify the spices used to embalm him and the orange peel reflects the bitterness of his time on the Cross.

As well as Christian origins there are links to pagan beliefs as well. The Saxons baked buns marked with a cross at the beginning of spring in honour of the goddess Eostre, which could very likely be the origin of the name Easter. Eostre was a fertility goddess of humans and crops. The traditional colors of the festival are green, yellow and purple. The symbols of rabbits and eggs represent fertility, and the cross represented the rebirth of the world after winter, and the four quarters of the moon.

Some historians believe that the contemporary hot cross bun originates from St Albans in England, where, in 1361 Brother Thomas Rodcliffe, a 14th-century monk at St Albans Abbey, developed a similar recipe called an 'Alban Bun' and distributed the buns to the poor on Good Friday.

The first definite record of hot cross buns comes from a London street cry: "Good Friday comes this month, the old woman runs. With one or two a penny hot cross buns", which appeared in Poor Robin's Almanac for 1733. This then became the popular 

Hot-cross buns!
Hot-cross buns!
One a penny, two a penny,
Hot-cross buns!
If you have no daughters,
Give them to your sons;
One a penny, two a penny,
Hot-cross buns!

∼ Be safe and well ∼
Polly x

6 comments:

  1. That's interesting, Polly. We never really ate them that much here but I always liked them and never knew the history. Now I know more! Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard any of that before apart from the rhyme that you end with. I like a good hot cross bun though. We used to have a doctor when I was a child called Dr Bunn. Once he was kept waiting by a patient who took a long time to get to the door at which he is supposed to have said "I'm Dr Bunn and I'm very hot and I'm very cross". I'm sure it can't have been true but everyone in the village knew and repeated the tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, ha, that's brilliant, I hope it was true!

      Delete
  3. Jenny and I love hot cross buns too. I'm very glad those monks invented them in the distant past. We rather like the Sainsbury's variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sainsbury's is way across town for me so I don't go there.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...