29 August 2022

A Good Read

Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

Set in a remote part of  Australia, Tranquillem House is a health and wellness resort that many clients claim transformed their lives for the better.

Nine strangers gather hoping that it can do the same for them. Some want to lose weight, some want to detox from the alcohol they've become a bit too fond of, some are here to get a reboot on life, and some are here for reasons they can’t even admit to themselves. Amidst the luxury and pampering, the mindfulness and meditation, they know their ten day stay will involve some challenging work. But none of them could envisage just how challenging.

Frances Welty, a formerly best-selling romantic novelist,  is nursing a bad back, a broken heart, and an exquisitely painful paper cut. She’s immediately intrigued by her fellow guests. Most of them don’t look to be in need of a health resort at all. But the person that intrigues her most is the strange and charismatic owner of Tranquillum House, Masha, a narcissistic, humourless and ruthlessly ambitious former company executive whose near death experience led to a complete change in her life direction. Masha has a dark and hidden agenda for her latest customers, driven by the best of intentions.

Could Masha really have the answers Frances is seeking? Should she put aside her doubts and immerse herself in everything Tranquillum House has to offer—or should she run while she still can? It’s not long before every guest at Tranquillum House is having the same thoughts.

Forced into each other's company with little in common, the nine strangers find themselves in circumstances where they form unlikely bonds and undergo unexpected transformations. 


I liked the characters, they are well depicted, and I remembered them throughout the story.

With some suspense and tension I really enjoyed it and would recommend it.


It’s been made into a film with Nicole Kidman brilliantly playing the role of Masha. It mostly stays true to the book with just one or two embellishments.

∼ Happy Reading ∼ 

Polly x

8 comments:

  1. I read the book..and then the series came out..What a disappointment the series..:)IMHO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just realised it was a series, not a film I watched. I did enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I’ve liked some of her other novels, so I will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked this more than her other ones I've read.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Without giving too much away that's what I thought when I started the book.

      Delete
  4. I have an up-and-down relationship with Liane Moriarty. Maybe I should give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jeanie, but I would say try this one :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...