8 June 2022

A Good Read

How The Dead Speak by Val McDermid
A former convent school and refuge for girls has been closed for decades. During the demolition the remains of 40 bodies of young girls are found. A cadaver dog is brought in and it discovers eight more graves of male remains in nearby gardens. The nuns might have known about the girls, but the male remains are as recent as ten years ago.
Then newly promoted DI Paula McIntyre discovers that one of the male skeletons is that of a killer who is supposedly alive and behind bars.
With good characters and plot it held my attention throughout.
I think this is number 11 of the detectives Tony Hill and Carol Jordan series, but they can be read as individual stories.

∼ Happy Reading ∼ 

Polly x



6 comments:

  1. Nothing like a good mystery! And a cup of tea, coffee or . . . Baileys perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read quite a few books by Val McDermid some years ago when I was going through my crime novel phase. I enjoyed them but found them a bit samey after a while and moved on to other authors. I've just reread two books by Carol Shields - Unless and The Stone Diaries. I'd recommend both of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick. They can become samey. I've only read a series of 3 - Stephen King's the Bill Hodges trilogy, because there were only 3 they weren't samey.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...