2 October 2021

A Good Read

Hotel Du Lac by Anita Brookner

Edith Hope  writes romance novels. Suddenly her life begins to resemble her plots - she has been having an affair with a married man, and she left her fiancé at the altar. Friends pack Edith off to Switzerland, where they hope the quiet luxury of the Hotel du Lac out of season will restore her senses. 
Edith enjoys the solitude of the hotel, but instead of peace and rest, she finds herself drawn into the  casualties and exiles of love’s assorted guests. She is also attracted to a worldly wise man who is determined to get her to indulge in some  mischief and pleasure which she isn’t averse to, but she knows she must find direction in her life. In those days many women had to decide between love and security, rarely being fortunate enough to have both.
Edith enjoys people watching, and there are plenty of them to observe. The Hotel is a snooty 50’s  institution. One memorable character is the ghastly Mrs Pusey. Edith secretly invents lives for the rich strangers who frequent the hotel, and in due course, she is summoned into their cosseted worlds and used as a sounding board to reinforce their social standing.
It’s a slow read with many descriptions of surroundings and people. Beautifully observed and some witheringly funny moments. Not so much a story, more an exploration of people, society and appearances.

∼ Happy Reading ∼ 

Polly x

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think it would be, it's not very long so wouldn't be heavy to carry.

      Delete
  2. Always interested in a good read, Polly, and will check out this author for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've read it but can't be sure. Will have to find it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep a diary of the books I have read so I can remember them.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Polly! I've read her before -- she's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first of her I have read. I enjoyed it and might read more.

      Delete
  5. Sounds intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read a few Anita Brookner novels when I was much younger. I didn't find them very engaging, but I can't remember why that was. Perhaps I should give her another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only read this because it had been haning around for a while. I enjoyed it but I'm not sure I will read any of her others.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the review. I hope someone packs me off to a hotel in Switzerland. And soon.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just returned from a holiday in Cornwall with lots of walking and sightseeing, a rest in a Swiss hotel with glorious views would be wonderful! :-) x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...