18 October 2021

Life Happens

Has anyone else, in the UK seen the John Lewis home insurance advert and thought "This perfectly depicts eveything that is wrong with little precocious princes and princesses in Britain today"?

It shows a young boy marauding through the house, dripping in entitlement and has clearly never heard the word no.

The advert starts in the bedroom which is completely ransacked with stuff all over the bed, chairs and floor, an upturned laundry basket, opened bottles of nail varnish on the dressing table along with items of jewellery and make-up, and then as we leave the room the boy jumps up and throws feathers into the air, presumably from a cushion he has just wrecked.

He is wearing lipstick and eyeshadow, and what I assume is one of his mother's dresses, which is fine, all children should enjoy the fun of dressing up. I know it's fiction, but I think it's a nod to yet another propaganda exercise on the acceptability of gender nutrality.

The boy looks directly into the camera with a look of contempt before continuing his rampage. He kicks over a vase, lobs a shoe at a ceiling light then looks into the camera with a look of "yeah, what you gonna do about that" on his face. He goes downstairs smearing what looks like lipstick or nail varnish on the handrail. He picks up an umbrella in the hall, goes into the lounge pretending to play it like a guitar and then throws it at a glass ornament on a book case. He then moves over to where a young girl is painting, knocks the paints onto the carpet, puts some on his hands and face and then moves into the kitchen where he puts his hand on one of the cupboards, and spins a saucepan which knocks over a glass of juice. Where are his parents? ah there she is, his mother sitting at the table surrounded by books and drinking coffee with a bewildered look on her face as he picks some sprinkles out of bowls, jumps onto the dining table, knocks over salt and pepper pots before throwing the sprinkles into the air then finally falls onto the sofa spent. 

Can you imagine the insurance claim? "Well it's like this, I just watched my son trash the house and I did nothing to stop him"

The advert is titled Life Happens, well that kind of life wouldn't happen in my home, my daughters knew how to respect what we their parents had worked for, they knew discipline and the meaning of the word no. Sometimes they were naughty but they knew the boundaries.

The problem is too may parents are frightened of their children, frightened to upset them, discipline them, or say no. Schools and society don't help either, appeasing trouble makers, not punishing wrong doers, teaching that you can do more or less anything without consequences. And the ridiculous notion that, despite nature creating male and female species, now all of a sudden we don't have to be defined as male or female. How on earth are these children going to grow up to be sane, valued members of society?

I don't know how many people will be inclined to take out JL insurance. In my opinion the advert just adds to the depressingly increasing evidence that we are all being groomed into thinking that this way of life is acceptable, that saying "kids eh" is a valid excuse for not disciplining them. 

To me, this advert just shows a spoilt brat with no boundaries.

∼ Be safe and well ∼ 
Polly x

22 comments:

  1. Punishing kids for their gender expression is cruel and traumatic. Every generation of LGBTQL+ kids knows this from personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Gender neutrality is a personal choice, something a person feels strongly about. I just think that to think of oneself as “It” or “They” or “The” is ridiculous.

      Delete
  2. I believe in boundaries as well. For all ages.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life happens?? Really? Because it would say to me sociopaths happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a TV so I haven't seen the advertisement. However I did work for over twenty years with children with autism and learning difficulties, none of them ever wrecked anything in the way you described. Very simple boundaries had to be set for them and I was probably more strict than many others. The children were never told off, but they were told what was acceptable or not. Rather than resent having boundaries the children liked them and felt safe in an ordered world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree John, routine and boundaries offer stability and comfort. I don't think your'e missing much not having a TV, there's a lot of rubbish on.

      Delete
  5. Comments made by MPs in the House of Commons today revealed that so many people today have absolutely no boundaries whatsoever as to what they will say and even tragically do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I don't have much contact with kids so I can't say if they're in need of more discipline and clearer boundaries or not. The kids I see in Belfast actually seem well-behaved and considerate of others, but England seems to be very different.

    The notions that male and female are mere social constructs, that you can change your sex and that if you feel like a woman then you are one, are just so deranged and so ridiculous I really don't understand why so many supposedly respectable organisations have gone along with them. I'm pleased to see there's now some serious pushback from academics who've still got their feet on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many organisations jump on the wagon merely for appearances.

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen the advert but have heard about it and watching any child trashing their home would offend me. A boy dressing in his mother's clothes wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't start me. We just spend four days with two toddlers. Much of the time was very good but when it was bad it was BAD. The biggest tantrum (well, the second biggest) came when they wouldn't pick up their toys or eat much dinner and we said "no tv tonight" (they always have a video before bed -- which I think is a terrible thing but not my kids). "We'll have stories instead." Well, you would have thought the world ended. We said "All you have to do to have your video is pick up your toys and put them in the toybox. Then we'll watch." "NO!" We didn't cave. I think their parents would have. Eventually, all quieted down, the next day all was well. But boy -- as Rick said, "I think it is less a kid problem than a parenting problem."

    I can empathize with their parents, who have been working full time jobs from home for the past 20 months. It's easy to turn on the tv to keep them quiet so they can get something done. And I understand the exhaustion and it being easier to pick things up yourself. But it's too easy for that to become a bad habit. As for being an ad -- yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie, it is hard, and very tempting to give in for some peace and quiet. I do remember ocassions when I sat my two down to watch TV or a video!

      Delete
  9. I do not watch a lot of TV so haven't seen the advert. But I think it important for children to have boundaries. Ours did when growing up and our grandchildren do too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen it but it sounds horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. People would rather just hand their child a device these days, rather than have conversations, discipline, and boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's an easy short term solution, with long term problems.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...