21 September 2020

Woodbridge and Aldeburgh

Woodbridge is a pretty market town on the banks of the river Deben in Suffolk. With lovely shops, pubs and restaurants, and on the edge of an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty it is a perfect place to stay for a few days, or as a base to explore the Suffolk coast.

M and I visited a few weeks ago as one of our day trips. We had a lovely day with beautiful weather.

The Guildhall 

Market stalls behind the Guildhall with a lovely open air cafe

St Mary's Church

It's very pretty

 

And home to the Deben millenium frieze. A brief history of Woodbridge over the past two thousand years seen through the eyes of some of the creative and artistic people of the town. It grew from an idea by Sarah Evelegh and her husband Mike, chairman of the Woodbridge Millenium committee who, in 1998 approached the Deben Decorative and Fine Arts Society who agreed to support the project. It was a labour of love, started in September 1998 by sixty volunteers sewing individual pieces in their own homes, and completed in March 2000.

The Tidemill

A short drive away was our next stop, the seaside resort of Aldeburgh. 
The High Street offers wonderful opportunities for browsing, with trendy boutiques, antiques and arts, a glorious book shop, a cinema, over priced ice cream shops, and a huge variety of culinary feasts. Unfortunately the two fish'n'chip shops were take away only so we went to one of the many cafes. After browsing the shops and lunch we walked along the promenade.

Aldeburgh Lifeboat Station


Further along the beach is the iconic scallop shell. This four metre high sculpture was conceived by Suffolk-born artist Maggi Hambling, and made by Aldeburgh craftsmen Sam and Dennis Pegg, It was unveiled in 2003 as a tribute to Benjamin Britten who moved there in 1947 and was the founder of the Aldeburgh Festival. He wrote "I write music now, in Aldeburgh, for people living there, and further afield, indeed for anyone who cares to play it or listen to it. But my music now has its roots, in where I live and work."


I set off to see it up close, it was about a mile walk, M rested up and sat on a bench. I didn't get there though, not because of the distance but because the weather turned very hot, there was no shade and I didn't have any sun screen with me. I bought a postcard instead.

I saw this on my way back, perhaps I should have hopped in it :-) 

Be safe and well ~
Polly x

24 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks marvelous! What a fun day out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to Aldeburgh for many a year, but would love to see Maggi Hambling's shell tribute.
    Imagine seeing a tuk-tuk in Suffolk of all places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was surprised to see it. I'm surprised there aren't more around, they are an efficient and cheap way of getting around.

      Delete
  3. Just the sort of place I like for a day trip. Glad you had fun.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful and interesting area to explore. Thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The area looks delightful! I would enjoy relaxing at that open air Café. The seashell sculpture looks really neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have liked to see the sculpture up close but it was just too hot to walk there.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I would like to visit again and spend a bit more time there.

      Delete
  7. It looks like a fantastic trip, so much to see and admire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are so many charming little towns and villages that most of us never notice or visit. I've been to Maldon but never any farther up the coast. I love the millenium frieze - what a wonderful idea. And I love the scallop sculpture. Looks like a great day out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you had a wonderful day out, Polly !
    Thanks for guiding ...
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, these are delightful spots. My friend Jenny (English Travel Writer, from London) is always talking about Suffolk and I can see from these charming towns another reason why one would like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie, it is said to be a lovely county. I hope to explore more of it in the future.

      Delete
  11. I have never visited that part of the country but it looks lovely. Very English as I imagine it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of it is, lots of lovely quaint villages and seaside towns.

      Delete
  12. What a great outing with obviously great travel weather and great things to see on the trip from the market stall, the buildings and the seaside visit with that great shell sculpture.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...