15 May 2020

What Day Is It?

"Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep washing our hands?"
Seen recently on a blog I was reading. Really appeals to my sense of humour.

What day is it? how many times have you asked yourself that question over the last few weeks? The only days I'm sure of are Thursday - rubbish collection, and Friday, the day after rubbish collection.

I like watching 'The Farmer's Country Showdown' on beeb 2. Today there was a family who produce biodynamic fruit and vegetables, and a young couple running the Cornish Gouda company. Both businesses rely on farmers markets to sell their produce. Afterwards I got to thinking, I wonder how they (and many, many more) are coping at the moment. I feel sad, they produce excellent produce and they can't sell it. I hope maybe they are trading online.  

Restrictions are being eased, places of work are slowly opening up, but I think it will be a long time before we will be able to eat in a restaurant, go to the cinema or visit the library. I phoned the coach company that M and I enjoy day trips with, they don't expect to start operating again until September.

When the lockdown started I wasn't unduly concerned about not going out, I had plenty of hobbies to keep me occupied, and I threw myself into enjoying quilting, reading, dolls house projects, and with the glorious weather in April, lots of gardening. But as soon as the weather turned to cloudy and cool all I've really wanted to do is binge watch Netflix or read, and that's ok, I don't need to beat myself up about not doing anything. I think it's just after all the activity I'm now feeling lethargic, and frustrated because I don't want to do anything, I've got more time to achieve less at the moment! It will pass though.

I have two nurseries near me, both independent, one very small and the other quite big, 

but not garden centre big.


I bought these plants from the small one.
There was only me and one other lady there, and then a couple arrived,
we were able to keep well apart.
Oh dear, that plant top left needs cutting back.
I like this nursery, his plants are good and prices very reasonable. His place is down a lane off the main road. He has loads of stuff lying around, very old rusty farm equipment, old metal bird cage feeders, a red post box on a wooden panel, an old plough, the kind that was pulled by a horse. I don't know if it's just stuff that has just been left lying around, or if they are for sale. I will ask next time I go, and take some photos.

I'm keeping as fit as I can. After walking the dogs I do 10 minutes Joe Wicks for seniors.
After that I have breakfast, it's the same breakfast I've been eating for decades, All Bran, for reasons I won't go into, mixed with my home made granola, milk, yoghurt and fruit - mangos, blueberries, frozen cherries, tinned pink grapefruit, strawberries, apples and pears, not all at once! I love it.
My granola is rolled oats, chopped hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, ground almonds, turmeric and cinnamon. Bake for about 30 minutes, add sultanas when cool.

I take vit c and zinc tablets to help my immune system
I try to drink lots of water, especially when working in the garden
I try to get 8 hours sleep. Hot flushes wake me up but I do manage to get back to sleep.

I wear an eye mask, I'm sure it helps.

I've been keeping the plants in the shed at night time, tomorrow I will plant them in hanging baskets. The weather is set to improve and looking good for next week.

I've just remembered how to tell which day it is, my statins tablets have the days of the week printed on each blister pack! ☺️

Be safe and well ~ 
Polly x

10 comments:

  1. I’m hoping things will improve as the temperatures start to rise again. I’ve been itching to start planting out but every time I look at the forecast they’ve added another chilly night! Hopefully, at last, we’ve seen the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jessica, I do hope so. My plants are basking in their baskets now, and I've just bought some more for a new patio area I am creating.

      Delete
  2. The days are beginning to blur a little but hopefully an improvement in the weather next week will once again lift our spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lorraine, the forecast for us this week is good.

      Delete
  3. You don't ever need to beat yourself up for having an "unproductive" moment. Sometimes those are the most productive in that they give us time to unwind, maybe think. Your gardening looks awfully good -- you are far ahead of us here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. We benefited from an unusually hot April, everything got an unexpected boost.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes we just need a day to recharge! I am thinking about what plants I would like and will see if the neighbor lady will pick them up for me or see about calling in my order. You picked out some pretty plants! Stay safe I only know Sundays for church online and Thursday which is grocery day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Connie, thank you for visiting. I'm really pleased with those plants, very healthy and they look lovely in the hanging baskets. I hope you manage to get some.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I too have wondered "what day is today?" so you are not unusual in that line of thinking because it's happened to many of us, I'm sure. And to make matters worse, I sometimes I ask "what month is it?" Your plants look beautiful and so colorful and there's much to be said for shopping locally as many times the quality is better even if the prices are a bit more. I wouldn't worry about taking time to watch Netflex and read because the mind and body need some relaxation after all your recent projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beatrice, I am so pleased with those plants, they look lovely in their baskets. You're right about the mind (especially the mind), and body needing a break now and again.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...