21 December 2019

My Great Mince Pie Survey

Oh my word, another year on, time for my mince pie survey.
It's where I get to eat lots of mince pies and let you dear reader
know what I think of them.

Asda
Filled with vine fruits, spices and a splash of ruby port, all encased in shortcrust pastry.
Nice pastry holds well, not crumbly. Good tasty filling. 8/10

Waitrose
All butter with a rich mincemeat filling containing
apricot, glacé cherries, almonds and brandy. Nice firm pastry and tasty filling. 8/10

Waitrose mini mince pie selection. 3 Amaretto frangipane pies, 3 orange and juniper pies and 3 caramelised hazelnut topped baklava pies. These are delicious, especially the orange and juniper ones, they leave a lovely lingering taste in the mouth. 9/10 


Tesco all butter with Courvoisier. Delicious.
Firm pastry and a lovely tasty filling 9/10

Co-op all butter pastry with brandy and port.
The pastry is a bit crumbly, the filling is nice and I could definitely taste the alcohol! 8/10

Greggs sweet crumbly mince pies. Delicious pastry and tasty filling but no alcohol! 7/10 

Tesco festive pastry tarts. 2 iced topped, 2 brandy buttercream and 2 pecan and maple. 
When Rufus did his diary a week or so ago he mentioned that I was eating lots of mince pies, he hastened to add "lots of different brands not the whole box full! family eat them as well".
But let me tell you dear reader, family won't get anywhere near these beauties!
They are delicious 10/10

However my daughter informs me that the best mince pie she has ever tasted is Starbucks.
I haven't had time to go into town to try one, so I will just have to take her word for it :-)

 Be warm and well  
Polly x

12 comments:

  1. We don't really see mince pie over here and it's a shame. I'd love to try one sometime. A real one, from England. Maybe they'll put them in shops next September so I can bring some home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I wish I could have posted some to you Jeanie x

      Delete
  2. I knew something was missing this Christmas.....apart from a free one handed out by a church at the Mill Rd Winter Fair, I haven't had any mince pies yet. Something I shall put right at the first opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the look of the Waitrose selection - but, alas, no Waitrose anywhere near us. Must confess, I snuck a mince pie when I got back from the pub last night. Merry Christmas, Polly! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So your best buy isn't mince pies but the festive pastry tarts! We tried some M&S luxury mince pies (£2.50) but I didn't think they were any tastier than the regular Tesco and Sainsbury offering (£1). And the M&S pastry was a bit crumbly....

    Happy Christmas, Polly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, ha, yes Nick it's the festive tart, but .... they do have the mince pie filling, they just have the yummy toppings. Merry Christmas to you too Nick x

      Delete
  5. My mother, who was of Belgian descent, used to make minced meat pies at Christmas, Polly. While I didn't appreciate them as a child, I do recall friends and neighbors enjoyed them. Everything you showed here looks delicious, especially the tarts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nancy, I used to make my own mince pies, but I buy them now :-)

      Delete
  6. I adore mince pies and tarts! Alas, they are not as popular in Canada as they used to be. Only we old Boomers seem to have an appetite for them anymore. We must buy them in independent bake shops, or make our own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, they are very popular here, and with me! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...