10 June 2018

This And That Catching Up

Oh dear, I have neglected my blog and I'm sorry for not visiting my favourite blogs. I do catch up on you all, but don't always have time to comment.

My bowls club has been playing friendly and league matches. I wouldn't describe myself as one of my clubs' best players but I do have times when I play well. I won my club's ladies singles competition last year and was in the winning team in the fours competition. I don't know what happened with the summer league singles matches, I think it was a combination of hot weather, hot flushes, and trying too hard! 

Rufus mentioned wanting some photos of their walking friends, so here they are


 Charlie and Norman 


Rufus, Norman and Ellie               Ellie, Buster and Norman


Treat time, and bribery to get them all together! except Buster,
he had found something interesting to sniff nearby!
Ellie lost her tail in an accident

I have been busy with dolls house work, the bathroom is nearing completion and I have made a start on the main bedroom. 

Painting (art not decorating) has taken up a fair amount of time because of my determination to get it right. Some I am pleased with, others have gone in the bin. The experts say don't overthink it, and I tell myself not to but then I do! When I do just do it without overthinking I am pleased with the result, like this one. 


I wet all the petal areas one by one then just dropped a tiny amount of pink in the inside and tipped the paper to let it run to the edges. I then built up the darker areas bit by bit. It can be difficult knowing when to stop. When it came to the leaves I built up the colour gradually and thought I had overdone it with the veins, but I think they look just about right. I might frame it.


I followed an online tutorial for this one and was quite pleased with it until I noticed the perspective of the pot's proximity to the window! I will keep it though, we learn through our mistakes.

And of course time spent keeping cool and reading. My current book is 'A Fine Balance' by Rohinton Mistry. A hefty 614 pages! It has been on the bookshelf for a long time, I think it's one that I inherited from number two daughter when she emigrated to Australia. I enjoyed his 'Such A Long Journey' and am thoroughly enjoying this one so far. 

In July we had our WI summer lunch, delicious food and good company made for an enjoyable afternoon. And last week for our August meeting we went to Papermill Lock, a tea room on the bank of the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation. We had a lovely trip on a canal boat.

Little Baddow Mill House

 followed by a cream tea or cake and coffee (I had a cream tea)

I've enjoyed a few trips to North Weald market
and bought a couple of frocks there

this is the bargain I found in a charity shop in Fremantle last November. It has a lovely stretchy
panel at the back which gives a fitted look whilst allowing for expansion if I over indulge!

On probably the hottest day of the year my friend M and I went to the Booking Hall cafe at Rayne. 

It's the old railway station on the Fitch Way. It's said to be a lovely walk along the old track.

There are a couple of carriages that have been converted into a charming small museum. 

This one has a lovely little model version of how Rayne was as a working station.

The crops are stored
blackberries are turning red, I have seen a few black ones
soon be time for blackberry and apple pies and crumbles, yummy :-) 

Well that's me caught up with what I have been doing.
I hope to get round to reading what my favourite bloggers have been up to.

~Be well and have a good weekend ~
Polly x

8 comments:

  1. Hello Polly,
    It sounds like you had a busy summer. I loved the pictures of Rufus and his friends. What fun it must see to watch them play. I love your beautiful painting. The technique is beautiful and I really like the colors you use. Well done.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely to watch the dogs playing, much like watching children playing, happy that they are enjoying themselves. Thank you for your compliments Giac x

      Delete
  2. It was a joy to see Rufus and his friends enjoying the countryside. Loved your painting particularly the rose. I have a dolls house ready to renovate through the winter months that I am quite excited about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm struggling with curtains for the bedroom in my dolls house, I think I could have made real life ones in less time!!

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting use for old train carriages, turning them into a museum. I remember when North Weald was still on the Central Line and my friend and I were trying to visit as many London Transport stations as possible in a day! I like the painting of the pot plant - very colourful. Talking of lengthy books, I recently read A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara (736 pages). Not sure if it's your sort of book but I greatly enjoyed it - and didn't abandon it half-way through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick, I've looked at that on Goodreads, it sounds good.

      Delete
  4. Your painting is exquisite! The blooms just pop off the page and you can practically smell them! I love them all. (And I keep my bad ones too -- it reminds me of where I've been and what I've learned.)

    It sounds like a wonderful summer for you.Busy, full of fun and good people and loads of creativity. It's awfully nice to see your posts again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, I think I am over the summer lull now! :-) x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...