15 January 2024

A Harrowing Read

American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins
I get completely absorbed in a book, almost to the extent that I am actually in the story. This is a very harrowing read, at times I didn’t think I could continue with it. It’s powerful and painful.
Lydia lives in Acapulco. She has a son, Luca, the love of her life, and a wonderful husband who is a journalist, and while cracks are beginning to show in Acapulco because of the cartels, Lydia’s life is, by and large, fairly comfortable. But after her husband’s tell-all profile of the newest drug lord is published, her life will never be the same.
One Sunday afternoon eighteen adults and children, three generations of the same family, gathered at the matriarch’s home to celebrate a birthday. They are all in the garden for a barbeque.
 Luca worries that one of his cousins will come in again while he’s using the toilet, so Lydia goes with him and waits outside the door. Suddenly the sounds of celebration are replaced by sounds of gunfire. Lydia knows immediately what's happening. She enters the bathroom, grabs her son, and lays down with him inside the shower stall, shielding him with her body. Luca is only eight but he understands the need for complete and utter silence.
The intense fear is palpable. Every smell, every minute sound, every breath, every loud heartbeat. Even as the sicario searching the house for survivors comes in to use the toilet… the sound of him peeing, the incredulity that he then washes his hands before returning to the garden to eat the chicken that Lydia’s beloved husband had been barbecuing. Outside the sicario can be heard celebrating, taking photos of the dead as proof. Thinking their hit is complete, they leave and Lydia… though she and Luca are alive, knows that their lives are over. She and her son have now become targets. When the boss finds out that they are not among the dead, he will demand they are found and killed, a reward will be offered. Nowhere is safe and no one, not even children, can be trusted. There is no time to think, to plan, they cannot spare a moment to grieve, they must leave immediately.

Lydia's story made me angry. I spent days digesting what I had read.

∼ Be warm and well ∼
Polly x

12 comments:

  1. I can't handle anything harrowing right now, so I'll give this one a pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Debra, I read it because it was a book club choice, and once started I wanted to know the fate of Lydia and Luca.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Polly for your detailed post about this book which I had heard of but reading the plot decided against a read. Cozy vs. harrowing is more my reading preference of late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beatrice. I wouldn't have chosen this, it was a book club choice.

      Delete
  3. I have heard of this book.. it was quite controversial when it came out. With all that is going on with the world, the news is harrowing enough sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a book, I think I must look at it.. I found the opining chapter of The Dry so harrowing I read it with my hand and fingers spread out over my eyes! But isn't it great that just reading words can quicken your heart beat and make you draw in a breath?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Chris, as I said I almost feel I'm in the story!

      Delete
  5. Taking time for digesting can construct the world of a book wider and deeper. Have a happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this. Perhaps loved is the wrong word. it is so thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...