12 December 2022

A Celebration Of Christmas

Last Wednesday the Essex Federation of Women's Institute hosted a concert of Christmas carols and readings at St Mary's Church in Saffron Walden. 
My village WI group started our day with a late breakfast at a restaurant near home and then journeyed to the church.

It's a beautiful huge church, more like a cathedral. We sang traditional Christmas carols, there were readings from the Bible, seasonal related readings and a lovely whimsical reading from a child's interpretation of the Christmas story. The highlight for me was the solo soprano singer Nancy May her beautiful voice was incredible, I was captivated. 


The church has a very good toilet block, why am I telling you this? well.....
I know town twinning has been around for a long time (I never understood it though, I thought it seemed pointless), but I had never heard of toilet twinning! This one above is to be found at Lusaka, Zambia, latrine no. 45160. Supporting toilet twinning helps to flush away poverty. 

oOo

How sturdy are these little marigolds, thriving in all this frost.

It looks pretty but it's mighty cold brrrr...
And now the marigold is covered in snow!

And we have a cheery snowman across the road 😊

∼ Be warm and well∼
    Polly x

9 comments:

  1. I've never heard of toilet twinning either, but if it helps a poorer area then more power to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toilet twinning, eh? That's a new one. It'll be garden shed twinning next.
    The poor snowman has no eyes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I can't imagine it was made without eyes but then the temp hasn't moved above freezing so they wouldn't have melted out either.

      Delete
  3. I've been to the church but never investigated the toilet block. That's a rather better snowman than any I've seen around here - children just don't get enough practice in these globally-warm times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John, yes as a child I can remember snowmen being a regular winter feature.

      Delete
  4. We live comfortably while someone think deeply how to resolve poverty. Thanks for y

    ReplyDelete
  5. That church certainly does look like a cathedral as you noted, Polly. I'm sure the readings and carols sounded wonderful. Toilet twinning is a new term for me. Learn something every day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...