25 September 2022

A New Arrival - At Last


Nearly 8 weeks after my old laptop stopped working I have a new chromebook!! I'm such a procrastinator, not in a lazy way, in a way that worries I might make a wrong decision. I've had computers and laptops in the past, a chromebook was going into unchartered territory!
I knew I wanted either a Lenovo, Asus or Acer, a minimum 14" screen and a powerful processor. After visits to Currys and John Lewis asking questions, and comparing models online I narrowed my search down to two Lenovos and two Acers, then finally chose this one, the Lenovo
IdeaPad 5i. The touchscreen version was £70 dearer, which was comfortably within my budget but I didn't really think it would enhance my experience, also, and this was a BIG consideration, if I didn't like it and wanted to get another laptop it would be money wasted. HOWEVER someone in packaging at the warehouse sent the wrong one -  this is a touchscreen. So for only £238.99 I have a lovely Chromebook touchscreen (which is nice) and 1 years Mcafee security.
It's taking a little while to get used to, a few things are different - there isn't a caps lock button, it's press shift. There's no delete button, it's alt+backspace. Screenshots aren't as easy, but I don't do that very often. I had a mild panic when I could't insert images, but soon realised I had selected upload from computer instead of photos! I have a lot of photos on a memory stick but they were created on a Windows platform, so they aren't compatible with the Chromebook. I can access them using the home desk top though. I will get used to using Google photos as my main storage.
What I liked about a laptop is having the File Explorer to store documents, particularly pictures. I'm old school, I liked naming them according to the blog post they would be going in, then putting them in folders. I can still do that, just not name them.
I'm sure there will be more to learn along the way, but for now I'm happy, I can continue wiith my blog, shop online, stream videos etc., and store images. And the speakers are very good.

STOP PRESS - I've just worked out how to transfer my memory stick images. I emailed some to myself, they went into documents, then I uploaded them into photos!!

∼ Be safe and well∼
Polly x

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Debra, it's work in progress :-)

      Delete
  2. That's really cool, you'll get used to using it very quickly. I had a macbook air, for my birthday in February and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest daughter has used Macs for years, she won't use anything else.

      Delete
  3. Happy laptop days ahead of you. It is always unknown territory when you have a new gadget but it sounds as if you are quickly getting to terms with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Polly! You've got it! I'm with you on a laptop. It just does things a tablet can't do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeanie, I'm slowly getting used to it :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh, yes, I totally understand the procrastination over decision making, especially when it comes to a new laptop. I will need to make a similar decision, and I'm putting it off as long as I can, limping along with the Dell laptop I now have. Ugh. I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, Polly. I feel encouraged by that. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nancy, I struggled with my old laptop for almost a year because I was worried that I wouldn't be able to access all my favourites on a new device, but it is working out fine. I'm sure you will make the right choice and be very happy with it x

      Delete
  6. I always worry about getting new techncial things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sleek and wonderful machine! I'm glad you are making it do the things you want :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kylie, I'm learning something new each time I use it 🙂

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...