21 September 2022

Farewell

On Monday my friend M and her daughter joined me to watch the Queen's funeral. I think my daughter would have joined us but she and her husband are enjoying a fly drive holiday in New England. I made some sandwiches, M bought some scones and I bought these lovely little cakes. I forgot to take a photo before we devoured them!



Marks and Spencer Royally good victoria mini sandwich cakes, absolutely delicious.
M bought me the pretty cyclamens.
I also bought some Bucks Fizz for a toast to our much loved Queen,
celebrating a remarkable life. 

It was a long day starting with leaving Wesminster Hall for a service at Westminster Abbey, then the journey to Windsor Castle for another smaller service. At the Abbey the sound of the lone bagpiper was heartbreakingly beautiful. I'm not a believer but I recognised most of the hymns from my childhood, when my mother took me to church, and found myself singing along, surprised at how I remembered the lyrics.
I felt very proud watching all the pagentry and dignity, the pride and respect from the crowds lining the streets, whether it was a nod of the head, a curtsy, or a round of applause.  

I wanted to pay my respects at the lying in state, head said yes but my old body said "No, you can't stand for that length of time!" I'm still a pretty good walker but I can't stand for very long. It's something I hear from a lot of people my age. I've signed a book of condolences that we have in the village, and an online one.

The end of an era.

∼ Be safe and well∼
Polly x

9 comments:

  1. Yes, it's the end of an era alright. The TV viewership numbers for the funeral broke all records apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised, she was loved world wide.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had a nice celebration of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a long day. And I watched every minute. Then I watched the reruns and commentary on BBC later in the day. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought a lot about you last week, Polly. Queen Elizabeth was a remarkable woman, and I felt genuinely sad when I heard of her passing. I've been watching various Youtube videos of the Queen and others in the Royal family. Last night I watched a documentary of Prince Philip's life, and I found that quite interesting. As an American, it really touched me when Queen Elizabeth had The Star Spangled Banner played outside Buckingham Palace. I will miss her. Warm hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hello Nancy, thank you for your thoughtful comments. It is so sad, I keep thinking "She's gone, our Queen has gone". It doesn't seem real.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...