21 September 2021

Another Nice Walk

This walk involves a lot of fields


First the playing field. The direction of the walk is behind me
but I couldn't get a good photo because of the sun in my camera.


Through the first wheat field


and another, and another one beyond those trees


onto the road


I have coveted this house for years. I would love to have a look inside.


we turn off the road at that fir tree


and walk along the edge of this property, up to the gate.
Rufus has to be on the lead because I think that tape is electrified.
I'm not sure why though, I've never seen any animals in this field.


Saying hello to the horses


and onto another field, heading to those trees in the distance


to a shady track


that is lovely and cool on a hot day


it leads out to a lane


This used to be a very nice pub, very old with beamed ceilings and a roaring open fire in winter, and it was beautifully decorated at Christmas. They served good food with special offer days. My friend M and I used to go for lunch on Wednesdays. Unfortunately it closed a couple of years ago. It changed hands a few times, and chefs, and it was quite old fashioned, carpeted flooring, dark mahogany furniture, horse brasses and lots of old pictures. Nowadays people tend to want modern wood flooring, Farrow & Ball decor and modern light furniture.


If I'm pushed for time I turn right here, otherwise I turn left. Let's go left. 


This hedgerow is excellent for blackberries


I picked some good ones last week for a blackberry and apple pie. But there are a lot of red ones
that I don't think will ripen now. Not enough rain and sun at the right times 


There is a lovely listed house under that tarpaulin. It was home to an elderly gentleman who died a while ago. I only ever said "good morning" when he was in the garden. I met his daughter one day. The house had been neglected, the roof was damaged and the beautiful chimneys were in danger of falling down.


The builders are doing a fantastic restoration job.


Another gorgeous house


with a duck pond in front of it, and a sign asking to look out for them when they cross the road 😊


Onto the lane leading back into the village


Almost home
I hope you have enjoyed the walk
 
∼ Be safe and well ∼ 
Polly x

14 comments:

  1. A great walk. I bet Rufus loves it. It's a shame when a fine old pub has to close through lack of custom, and because the decor isn't fashionable enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Nick. Rufus does love our walks, especially when we meet friends.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that was a long walk! Very picturesque, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely walk. I enjoyed the area with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this walk with you! So many fascinating things to see!

    Love the photos, Polly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful walk and a joy to admire the properties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a terrific walk! I love the "shady spot." I hope they can find a buyer who would restore the pub to its traditional ambience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping that too Jeanie, but it has been like that since it closed with no news of a possible new owner.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely place for a walk, Polly. I'm glad you took us along with you.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...