19 May 2021

A Good Read

Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen
I love Carl Hiaasen's satiric, hugely witty, laugh out loud novels which generally highlight some atrocity humans are inflicting on the state of Florida.
The first one I read was Strip Tease, a long time ago. I know I enjoyed it but it was before I started keeping a diary of my reading, and I can't remember much detail about it.
In Skinny Dip Hiassen concentrates on Everglades pollution.
Chaz Perrone - who likes to be called 'Dr. Perrone' - has a Ph.D. in marine biology and a cushy job for the state of Florida monitoring pollution in the Everglades. In reality Chaz should be called 'Dr. Scumbag' because he's being paid off by Red Hammernut, a south Florida farmer whose fertilizer is contaminating the region. Chaz creates fake results for the Everglades water samples and collects his payoff.
Chaz thinks his wife Joey, has cottoned on to his scam so he treats her to a luxury cruise for their second wedding anniversary, and promptly throws her overboard in the middle of the night. Chaz failed to think it through though. An expert swimmer, Joey makes her way to a floating bale of Jamaican pot, and then, with help from the Gulf Stream, to an island inhabited by an ex-cop named Mick Stranahan.  Joey wants revenge and Mick is happy to help her. But instead of calling the police Joey has a better idea, she wants to drive lowlife Chaz crazy.
Convinced he got away with murder Chaz rids the house of Joey's belongings; romances his long-time girlfriend  Ricca Spillman; and dreams of a fruitful, long-lasting partnership with Red.
But despite Chaz's staged outpourings of grief detective Karl Rolvaag is immediately suspicious and never lets up with his questioning - think Columbo. Meanwhile with help from her brother and Mike Joey invents a series of pranks designed to mess with Chaz’s head, the results of which are hilarious and extremely satisfying.

∼ Happy Reading ∼
Polly x

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like the book would make a good movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and Danny DeVito would be the perfect Chez!

      Delete
  2. That sounds good! Added it to my "want to read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one but I have read some of Carl Hiaassen before and he's very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carl Hiaasen is an author who I have never read, Polly. Thanks for the synopsis and I will add him to my reading wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember reading one of his books in the past. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all sounds a bit far-fetched, but who knows, maybe I'm missing something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, but the plot and characters create a good entertaining read.

      Delete
  7. I've not heard of Carl Hiaasen before, sounds fun. Thanks for the review!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amalia, yes they are a fun read.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...