21 June 2024

Rufus' Diary

Hello dear reader, I hope you are well.
Well after a dismal start June has finally come through with some lovely summer weather. Still a few clouds in the sky but sunshine and higher temperatures forecast for the next few days. That will make Polly happy.

I look squashed!


Recently Polly hasn't had much luck with hostas, this was the last one that was completely eaten by snails last year, she dug it up and put it in this pot "just in case it revived" !! and look at it now, how sweet is this with it's tiny flowers.

The countryside is looking good as usual
I think this tree is dead though


a few bee orchids are blooming 


The badgers have been busy with this new entrance, that is a large amount of soil that they have excavated. The entrance is the dark area just off centre on the left of the image.


This is their original entrance, the one at the back of the image where the white bag is. Unfortunately we think their underground network of tunnels might have caused some subsidence at the area at the front where the green bag is. A horse riding lady we occasionally meet when she is walking her dog is concerned that horse riders might not see the holes so she has put these sticks and bags in the holes to warn them. But then that probably causes problems for the badgers getting in and out, althought they do have mighty powerful legs and claws.

It's amazing how quickly the ground dries up.

Some horses are still wearing their coats

This one has his tail plaited because it's so
long it hangs on the ground and gets dirty.


I often lag back a long way behind Polly. She says its because after a while I just want to go home for breakfast. I don't often lay down though, you can just about see me in the long grass.


I have to confess though that I do speed up when we're on our way home, and then I'm way ahead of her, all I can think of is breakfast of tea and toast!

∼ Be safe and well ∼

Rufus 🐾 

15 comments:

  1. You look very lethargic in those first few photos, Rufus! Time for more tea and toast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, ha, I was probably dreaming of food! :-)

      Delete
  2. From the looks of things, the horse's tail is still too long, cause it is dirty on the bottom. If they want to keep it clean it needs to be cropped a little before they do it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we noticed that, I don't know why they don't trim it.

      Delete
  3. Your mistress was fortunate to find those lovely Bee Orchids - I have been searching for them in their usual spot but not discovered any so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rosemary. We didn't find any last year, Polly was pleased to find these.

      Delete
  4. Rufus, you have a very good life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do Jeanie, I'm well taken care of and much loved :-)

      Delete
  5. Hello Rufus. I see you enjoy sprawling on the lawn. I hope you're not badgering the badgers but letting them do their thing. You must be glad you don't have a long tail that drags on the ground. And I hope Polly has a tasty breakfast for you after your energetic walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nick, no I don't badger them, I occasionally sniff around their setts! I love laying on the cool grass in the sunshine, if it gets too hot I go in the shade. Polly always prepares my breakfast before she does hers :-)

      Delete
  6. June has been too hot like top-summer (but not dangerously hot) here and I’ve felt lethargic like you, Rufus, in the top photos. I’d regain my energy when I have a walk in such a beautiful countryside.
    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rufus. You are enjoying many beautiful sights and scents of summer. I hope it does not get too hot where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rufus, how cute are you ! I enjoyed the countryside together with you :-)
    Oh those slugs and snails are awful pests for hostas. We tried different ways to deal with them for several years now but no positive results at all.
    Have a wonderful week,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the plaited horse tail is beautiful but probably in need of a trim.
    Loved following you around your exploration of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The orchid is breathtakingly beautiful. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...